Author Topic: Solar panel manufacturers  (Read 6759 times)

Offline steve30Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
Solar panel manufacturers
« on: August 16, 2017, 06:15:30 am »
What are people's recommendations for solar panel manufacturers?

I'm asking around locally for some quotes for solar panels for my house. The first bloke I saw offered some panels from JA Solar. Anyone heard of them? Their panels look pretty good but I can't find much about them on the internet.

I'm curious to hear people's opinions on the various manufacturers.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
Re: Solar panel manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:59:05 am »
Solar panels are commodity products these days so they are sold by fancy marketing rather than technical merit, I guess there all of a muchness but quality is important for long life.
I use Axitec (German) as I came across some at the right price and the manufacturer provides good technical data.
Don't forget there are many different types of panel around such as polysilicon, amorphous and thin film, each have there own application areas and price/performance.
I imagine you are having the installation done for you so that you may claim FIT's, carefully research using the web the real likely income rather than relying upon the installers figures.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:08:06 am by fourtytwo42 »

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:00:55 am »
Have a read of some of the posts on this forum: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/143?g=371

From what I could tell opinions on solar panels are like buttholes - everyone has one...

People seem to talk about "Tier 1" solar panels. Some folk see Tier 1 panels as being good quality panels others say the Tier 1 is a reference to the 'value' of the mother company that makes the panels.
Three also seems to be lots of solar installers surreptitiously promoting their favorite products and slagging off the competition (at least on Aussie forums).

I have Jinko brand panels on my roof. They are a 'Tier 1' panel. They get good reviews but some folk bag them.
I figure a 10 year odd warranty is pretty good seeming my system will pay for itself in about 2.5 years.

Prior to the Jinko panels I had some cheap no-name Chinese panels that worked fine and were still going strong after 5 years with no issues.

There's also some useful information on this site. It's Aussie focused but it should apply anywhere the sun shines.
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/

Some folk seem to try to wring the last Whr our of their system by mixing / matching as some panels cope with shade better than others.
I suspect a lot of this is enthusiasm based and may make little difference for run of the mill installations.

My system was cranking 5.1kW this morning so I'm pleased.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:04:25 am by DTJ »

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:01:29 am »
Q Cells Q Pro G4 panels are highly regarded.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 07:12:09 am »
It's true - they're now commodity products. Many, many brands (and much rebranding). Most are made in China and are of similar high quality. Most have 10-15 yr material warranty and 25 year power output warranty (assumes company will still be around!).. Most are ETL listed, many UL listed.

A reputable installer should only sell quality panels, honor warranties, etc.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:13:52 am by mtdoc »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:08:38 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Both installers I spoke to seem to think highly of JA panels.

Only thing that's bothering me now, is that one installer says I can fit 9 * 300W panels on my roof. The other says I can only fit 7 of the same panels.

How do you measure the roof to determine how many you can fit? There is enough area on the roof to fit 9 panels, but I'm not sure how much of that area you would be allowed to actually install on.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:39:28 am »
Is there any limiting fixtures in your roof you can easily relocate?

My installers said they could only fit 20 panels. By moving a vent and the TV antenna I ended up with 23 panels.

They use a Google Earth image and an app to overlay panels and need what would fit.makemsure to leave a border are to walk on for when you give them their 6 monthly wash down.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 02:25:08 pm »
There is a waste pipe sticking up out of the roof, but Mr 9 Panel accounted for that. I'll ring him next week and see if he thinks the 9 panels is a definite.

He also quoted me for a Growatt inverter. I'd never heard of them, but they look decent for the Chinesey stuff.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 02:04:35 am »
My last inverter was a growatt 3000. The operated fine for 5 years until it was uninstalled.
Fronius inverters are supposedly one of the best but will cost around $1k more.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 03:28:13 pm »
I have a Fronius, built like a battleship, that company was making high frequency welding gear long before PV came along so have lots of experience however they do have some slightly quirky software like taking 4 minutes doodling around before deigning to go online but cant have everything :)

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 03:48:08 pm »
I figure a 10 year odd warranty is pretty good seeming my system will pay for itself in about 2.5 years.
hmm why I have to think about your water boiler.... The Company was closed down some month after we got it installed. Now with the Warrenty Card who can wipe our butt with...

Are there any good Quality Solar Cells for the Roof from China?
The Main problem is the import fee who add 20% to the total Cost.  :--
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline Solder Joe

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 08:13:34 pm »
Sorry to hijack your thread for a bit but this isn't important enough to make one of my own.
Does anyone know if what this company is claiming is legit? Or are these just pipe dreams of what they plan to do?
https://www.startengine.com/rayton-solar
I see them being advertised and sponsoring content like this

It seems like an investment scheme rather than someone to buy panels from.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 09:27:01 am »
Sorry to hijack your thread for a bit but this isn't important enough to make one of my own.
Does anyone know if what this company is claiming is legit? Or are these just pipe dreams of what they plan to do?
https://www.startengine.com/rayton-solar
I see them being advertised and sponsoring content like this

It seems like an investment scheme rather than someone to buy panels from.

1) Dave covered this:
2) Do not HiJack threads... open a new one if you have questions like this.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 11:03:35 am »
I thought the name Rayton sounded familiar. Anyway, their website does look a bit on the dodgy side.

I'm pleased to say I'm getting my solar panels installed tomorrow :D :-/O :-DMM

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 11:30:33 am »
I'm pleased to say I'm getting my solar panels installed tomorrow :D :-/O :-DMM

And starting the next day will be your addiction to seeing how much you harvest each day and your never ending  quest to drop consumption!

I made 32kWhr today from my 6.2kW of panels.   :)

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 02:22:35 pm »
 :-DD in Australia its not that hard to get power from solar cells.  :=\
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 12:43:29 am »

And all our government wants to do is to dig up coal and sell it to India and China!

Offline Vinny2

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 04:20:28 am »
Sorry my friend, they are not German, (Axitec Panels). This is what the CEC Australia had to say about them.

Far more serious non-conformance has been reported by the CEC through its testing program relating to solar panels from Axitec Energy GmbH & Co KG, all of which will be delisted tomorrow.

“Specifically, the modules were manufactured before the date of the certificate provided to the CEC, the power rating was below the minimum power rating in the specification, customer documentation supplied was misleading, the warranty failed to declare the customer rights under Australian Consumer Law and parallel TUV certificates were identified,” states the CEC.

Axitec refers to itself as a “high quality German solar brand” and its global headquarters is listed as being in Germany. According to a couple of module datasheets that contain country of origin information, Axitec Energy solar panels are manufactured in China.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:25:35 am by Vinny2 »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 08:47:23 am »
Have a read of some of the posts on this forum: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/143?g=371

From what I could tell opinions on solar panels are like buttholes - everyone has one...

People seem to talk about "Tier 1" solar panels. Some folk see Tier 1 panels as being good quality panels others say the Tier 1 is a reference to the 'value' of the mother company that makes the panels.
Three also seems to be lots of solar installers surreptitiously promoting their favorite products and slagging off the competition (at least on Aussie forums).

I have Jinko brand panels on my roof. They are a 'Tier 1' panel. They get good reviews but some folk bag them.

Prior to the Jinko panels I had some cheap no-name Chinese panels that worked fine and were still going strong after 5 years with no issues.

There's also some useful information on this site. It's Aussie focused but it should apply anywhere the sun shines.
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/

Some folk seem to try to wring the last Whr our of their system by mixing / matching as some panels cope with shade better than others.
I suspect a lot of this is enthusiasm based and may make little difference for run of the mill installations.

My system was cranking 5.1kW this morning so I'm pleased.

Sounds like someone realized that calling panels "A grade" has become very cheesy.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 09:41:12 am »

And all our government wants to do is to dig up coal and sell it to India and China!

Here in the UK we have pretty much weened ourselves off coal I believe, we still have the availability for when there is a high demand but much of our power is about 50% gas, 25% renewable and 25% nuclear. I'm not a fan of the nuclear though as it will be dealt with by for profit entities and we know what lengths they will go to for their share holders.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 10:17:06 am »
The reason for the reduction in coal usage is the EU diKtators.  >:D

Although coal is at the same level as wind just now.

Solar, 1.71%.  :horse:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 10:19:25 am by IanMacdonald »

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 11:14:21 pm »
The reason for the reduction in coal usage is the EU diKtators.  >:D

Although coal is at the same level as wind just now.

Solar, 1.71%.  :horse:

Reason for the reduction in coal is many. 
When it is mined and burned it releases heavy toxic metals into our environment like Mercury which finds it's way into streams and into our oceans.  Fish such as tuna contain so much mercury eating tuna frequently mercury toxicity and irreversible brain damage. 
The burning of coal releases long lived radioactive isotopes into our atmosphere.
The number of people who have died in coal mine accidents is staggering.  It's on the order of several thousand times more than have died from nuclear, solar, wind, and hydro combined.
The number of innocent people who have died from coal mine accidents in in the thousands.  Ever hear of Johnstown flood?  It was the Aberfan disaster which was the demise of coal mining in the UK.
Then as we all know the burning of coal is a major contributor to man caused climate change.

Seems to me the EU diKtators are trying improve things for all of us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf