Author Topic: Teardown of Chevy Volt inverter assembly  (Read 9528 times)

Offline radar_macgyverTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Teardown of Chevy Volt inverter assembly
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:19:28 pm »

It's more of a 'build-up' than a teardown, which has a nice side effect that the interesting bits are all at the beginning. Amazing power density, at least for someone who doesn't work with power electronics for a living.

The following users thanked this post: ChunkyPastaSauce, iwtommo

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
Re: Teardown of Chevy Volt inverter assembly
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:19:06 pm »
Amazing power density, at least for someone who doesn't work with power electronics for a living.

The power density is amazing no matter who you are. That is especially true when you consider that expected lifespan, safety regulations, and cost pressure applied the engineering challenge.

The part that I would buy a ticket to see is the test and validation of these types of systems. The voltage and current involved is very high and it is facing an extremely dynamic range of operation. The control systems have to be over the top outstanding to make it all work.

Interesting there is a thermocouple on each IGBT (and presumably current sense). Curious if an IGBT fails, if the system as the ability to continue at reduced power.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline John Heath

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2B or not 2B
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:36:39 am »
Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 08:04:01 pm »
This is truly a fine example of commercial engineering. The amount of engineering going into the power module alone is astounding. Not only are there a lot of carefully placed bond wires, note that each has relatively sharp bends to keep the length down. If you look carefully, you can see that the module is filled with clear gel, which not only forms another layer of protection, it also provides electrical insulation, and improves the surge rating by helping to cool the bond wires. Note also the size of the single IGBT die.

Note that these modules do not have to last a particularly long time. For example, 200k miles at an average speed of 40 mph = 5000 hours. However, the transient electrical and thermal environment is brutal, with large and frequent excursions in power and temperature. There is a great deal of engineering effort just to keep the IGBT die attached to the module baseplate.

Thanks for sharing this!

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:27:57 pm »
It is hard to imagine the transients involved - simply huge. The control subsystems have to be near miracle levels of engineering to keep that under control.

I marvel at the display on my own Chevy volt that displays Kw - when I drop the hammer it goes from 'idle' of 1kW to full acceleration of 150kW. The Teslas are triple that number or more.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:09:52 am »
I did get a chuckle at Chevrolet's implementation.
Hitachi did the inverter electronics, made in Japan.
Using a custom IGBT module- whereas Tesla uses discrete TO-247's.
Transaxle fluid pump module? Tesla is direct drive, no tranny.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:11:33 am by floobydust »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 02:31:00 am »
Not a big deal, I've been building current mode, fully protected supplies for, gosh, over a decade I suppose.  A basic motor drive (the most basic to control, a PMDC machine I suppose) only takes an SMPS scaled up, making sure to add important protection features -- desat detector, overtemp, water flow (if water cooled), and anything else mechanical related.

To do a proper BLDC or induction drive (higher efficiency and power density), you need more phases (potentially many more, because you have the option of 3 (or more) level inverters), and you need a more refined control, usually something vector based.  It could be basic PWM, but efficiency can be gained with more advanced adaptive/predictive methods to reduce rate of switching edges.

Make no mistake -- that one module is at least a million dollars of engineering.  Probably ten.  Design would've started with breadboard prototypes, then design prototypes, then production prototypes, and finally production.  When you're making a million of something, it doesn't even stop there: there is production engineering, from securing the supply chain, to the logistics of getting everything in, on time, every time.

There is absolutely, positively nothing impossible about this design -- I mean, obviously given it exists -- but it's clear, to me at least, where to begin and how to complete development of such a beast.

I'd love to do a design like that, myself; but I'm lacking some knowledge to do a comprehensive design, so some time would have to go to learning that; not to mention, the obvious and more pressing problem, that it would take me personally about ten man-years to finish the design!  Part of the cost of these things is organizing a few dozen engineers to work on the various parts of it, so it can be completed in a reasonable time frame (maybe a year).

Related: when he showed the bus bar I said to myself, "that looks just like something Methode would make."  Turns it over, see the sticker... hah.

Incidentally, it looks like that module uses just basic 3-phase 2-level inverters.  Gate drive probably supplied by a many-output DC-DC converter, one of those gate drive controller ICs (like that ACPL-3xx I think) with external switches, and the switches are SOT-223 or TO-243 transistors at the gate terminals.

Regarding the IGBT modules, those didn't come out of nowhere -- they've been around for many years, I suppose originating with hybrid circuits going way back.  Die bonded assemblies are 100% normal in industry, and if this isn't an off-the-shelf part, it's custom designed for GM (which is absolutely believable).  I'm impressed by how many bond wires they needed, but, I mean, there you have it, that's what they need for that many amps. :)

Tim
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:34:32 am by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline radar_macgyverTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 05:44:35 am »
Using a custom IGBT module- whereas Tesla uses discrete TO-247's.
Transaxle fluid pump module? Tesla is direct drive, no tranny.
The same channel has a video about the Volt's transaxle, which is needed since it's a hybrid (despite GM calling it a range extended BEV). The Bolt's drivetrain is much more like a Tesla's (fixed 7:1 reduction). They should have teardowns of the Bolt's systems coming up shortly.

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 12:17:51 am »

However, the transient electrical and thermal environment is brutal, with large and frequent excursions in power and temperature. There is a great deal of engineering effort just to keep the IGBT die attached to the module baseplate.

They don't have to be essentially soldered to substrate. Silver sintering is an alternate technology that provided void-free connection with thicker bonding line. The higher thermal conductivity offsets the negative impact on temperature from the thicker bonding line while the thicker bonding line offers much better thermal and mechanical shock resilience.

That's very true. However, I first heard of silver sintering as a solder replacement for die attache about 20 years ago. It took a lot of effort and many years to make it a commercially viable process.

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 02:11:40 am »
Drool ... wanna work on a design like that  :'( Then again more electric cars in the future so who knows  :box:

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 02:43:25 pm »
The technology is there. Indium and other big players in the market have already turn key solutions for sale, just the price is still a bit higher than soldering.

I remember that it was coming, and I think Infineon has been using it for some time. But, I have not had any involvement in module design for 5 years or so. Even then, I was not directly involved in the mechanical side of things. Are the existing turn-key solutions heat-sintering only, or is pressure involved?

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 09:12:48 am »
Not sure how you'd faultfind a module like that, when the power connectors overlay it so there is no access at all when powered.

I can see this being a problem with EVs a few years down the line when they start to develop electronic faults and the only fix is the 'throw money at it' approach  -changing modules at massive cost, hoping that will cure the fault. Likely most owners will decide that the cost, coupled with no certainty of fixing the fault, mean that it gets scrapped.   

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 07:05:42 pm »
Not sure how you'd faultfind a module like that, when the power connectors overlay it so there is no access at all when powered.

I can see this being a problem with EVs a few years down the line when they start to develop electronic faults and the only fix is the 'throw money at it' approach  -changing modules at massive cost, hoping that will cure the fault. Likely most owners will decide that the cost, coupled with no certainty of fixing the fault, mean that it gets scrapped.

This is why I leased my Chevy Volt. I don't trust that it will be stable, reliable, or worth anything after 36 months.

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 07:35:20 pm »

Power modules can be made to be very reliable. The very same technology is used for wind turbines, MW solar inverters, locomotive traction drives, and the like, where downtime and repairs are really expensive. And, many cars have gotten more reliable and longer lasting with the addition of electronics. That doesn't mean all cars are, but it means that it can be done properly and reliability can be improved.

Also, an IGBT failure in a module is not that hard to diagnose  - there are current, voltage, and temp sensors all over the place.

John

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 09:33:53 pm »
Locomotives, Prius etc. use rubber vibration mounts for the inverter.

Chevy mounting IGBT modules on an internal combustion engine, what could go wrong. Those bonding wires will take the vibration, right?

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 11:53:48 pm »
Locomotives, Prius etc. use rubber vibration mounts for the inverter.

Chevy mounting IGBT modules on an internal combustion engine, what could go wrong. Those bonding wires will take the vibration, right?

Isn't the assy filled with a soft material that diffuses the vibrations? Pretty safe to guess that this unit was exposed to considerable simulation and actual vibration testing with big margins of safety.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 12:11:30 am »
What a frightful thing it must be to put one of those modules in an aircraft APU, or a missile/rocket for that matter. ;D

Yeah, they have ways of dealing with that, no problem. :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 04:41:53 am »
My point is it's the worse possible location for electronics, which are not MIL qualified  ;)

Integrating the electric motors, inverter, mechanical diode, transaxle, internal combustion engine etc. seems a bit bizarre, aside from lowering initial cost - it's a mechanic's nightmare.
We should gush over this technology? Nobody knows what replacing the "F module" costs, looking at the true cost of ownership.

Then I got surprised by all the issues the vehicle has Gen2 Volt Issues, it kinda made me sour.

The new 2017 motor seems to be the bulk of the progress, at reducing rare-earth metals.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 05:29:55 am »
My point is it's the worse possible location for electronics, which are not MIL qualified  ;)

Integrating the electric motors, inverter, mechanical diode, transaxle, internal combustion engine etc. seems a bit bizarre, aside from lowering initial cost - it's a mechanic's nightmare.
We should gush over this technology? Nobody knows what replacing the "F module" costs, looking at the true cost of ownership.

Then I got surprised by all the issues the vehicle has Gen2 Volt Issues, it kinda made me sour.

So your point is that you know better than the Volt engineers and you speculate that some day Volts may have a problem because of that?  OK....

As far as some issues some owners have had with their Volts - Duh.  Name me a car that this is not true of. No automobile is without some issues. The fact is overall the Gen1 and Gen2 Volts have proved very reliable with very high customer satisfaction ratings. Most owners have had zero issues and many have driven over 100k miles. While I haven't put that many miles on mine, I've had it for 3 1/2 years and have had zero issues.

Any theoretical future repair costs will easily be offset by the thousands of dollars I've already saved on gasoline, the savings on very infrequent need for oil changes (once every 2 years) and very, very rare brake servicing (I don't anticipate needing any brake servicing until > 100K miles).

BTW, here is a good in depth lecture on the Volt's electronics engineering.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 06:05:47 am »
I have a gen 2 Volt Premiere and really like it. No issues at all. As a daily driver.....great car. For a four-door family car it has a surprising amount of fun.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 06:35:54 pm »

Make no mistake -- that one module is at least a million dollars of engineering.  Probably ten.  Design would've started with breadboard prototypes, then design prototypes, then production prototypes, and finally production.  When you're making a million of something, it doesn't even stop there: there is production engineering, from securing the supply chain, to the logistics of getting everything in, on time, every time.

Validation and compliance testing on its own would be a million dollars easily.
The automotive industry is very familiar with litigation caused by a faulty device, the cost of its recalls, and the negative impact on a brand. Ford Explorer, anyone?

As such, they must have tested the safety of this module for every conceivable problem, even customer induced ones....that would have been very expensive.

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 02:16:38 am »
For those who wish to understand a small bit of what goes into design for reliability of automotive electronics, please start here: http://www.aecouncil.com/AECDocuments.html. It is not easy to get parts and systems qualified for automotive use, but the market is large, so there is incentive to do so.

Power modules of the sort you see are not a new idea - they have been around for many years, and have had a great deal of refinement over that time.

Also understand that any modern automobile will not run properly or at all without rather sophisticated electronics, both analog and digital, under the hood, next to or even mounted on an internal combustion engine. Car companies already spend millions qualifying electronic components, so this is not new to them.

John

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 04:47:20 am »
My point exactly, John.

Those of us who are somehow related to the automotive industry, have a sincere appreciation for the amount of engineering work that goes into these units. And its associated cost, too.
The stakes are immense.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 04:54:35 am »
If I had to guess - $1mil seems like a tiny number for this type of thing. The burn rate of the team and the infrastructure to support them all is big numbers. Perhaps 10's of millions or more?

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 10:18:32 pm »

These things are amazingly reliable.  We have had 4 hybrids in the family.  One got wrecked when my son ran over a semi tire.  The guy in front of him managed to hit it with his wheels, and probably had a repairable wreck.  My son had no warning, and ran over it down the center.  It ripped off the engine and transmission oil pans and tore up all the stuff in the center tunnel.  Totalled the car.

But, other than that, our 2 honda civic hybrids and remaining toyota prius have never had any electronic problems.  The Honda civic hybrids have both had hybrid battery replacements.  Who at Honda thought you could put 120 NiMH D-cells in series and pull and push 100+ amps through them, for years, with no cell balancer?  Crazy!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf