Author Topic: Tesla Battery Storage Project to Power Electric Grid  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Gary350zTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Tesla Battery Storage Project to Power Electric Grid
« on: September 30, 2016, 09:10:31 am »
Look what there going to build by me in California; a lithium-ion battery storage facility to power the electric grid.

See attachment.

Is this economically feasible?

They say they are going to build the whole facility and have online in only 3.5 months.

Don't lithium-ion batteries have a life time of about 200 charges? So in about 200 days you have to buy a new set of batteries?

Attention Dave, this ones just right for you to analyze.

Online Neilm

• Super Contributor
Re: Tesla Battery Storage Project to Power Electric Grid
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 07:06:48 pm »

Don't lithium-ion batteries have a life time of about 200 charges? So in about 200 days you have to buy a new set of batteries?

Depends on how deeply discharged the cells are. If the cell is only discharged to 40% it will last much longer than if it is fully discharged.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:39:24 pm »
Makes sense if you want to live off-grid I suppose.

Otherwise:

Grid-Operator: "Hey, we have some troubles keeping our grid balanced with all the green energy and all, like to lend a hand?"
House Owner: "Sure thing, Billy Bob, let me install this 15k$ device in my home you can use for FREE!"

So, uhm, no.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 06:25:39 pm »

Read the fine print:

Edison and other California utilities are under a 2013 order by the state Public Utilities Commission to install 1.3 gigawatts of storage capacity by 2020.

So no, it is not economical except in the sense of avoiding fines and persecution by the state.  I bet the bank accounts of the politicians involved will benefit from that order.

Offline Gary350zTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 01:06:55 pm »

Read the fine print:

>Edison and other California utilities are under a 2013 order by the state Public Utilities Commission to install 1.3 gigawatts of storage capacity by 2020.

So no, it is not economical except in the sense of avoiding fines and persecution by the state.  I bet the bank accounts of the politicians involved will benefit from that order.

Yes I immediately noticed the fine print!!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 05:00:10 pm »
A few days ago a Dutch electricity company announced to install a similar system in the Netherlands for people who have solar panels. If you need to pay for the battery yourself it is not worth it (not by a long shot) but if the battery is dual purpose and the system designed around it is clever it can be used to level peaks in both supply (from solar and wind) and demand. One of the problems with solar and wind is that backup capacity needs to be standby and there are few types of power plants which can ramp up/down quickly enough and they are also not the most efficient (gas turbine for example).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 06:16:17 am »
Look what there going to build by me in California; a lithium-ion battery storage facility to power the electric grid.

See attachment.

They say they are going to build the whole facility and have online in only 3.5 months.

Attention Dave, this ones just right for you to analyze.

I always had the impression they were good for thousands of cycles, and even more if you don't cycle them as deeply.  Some of the higher end lead acid batteries can get in the thousands. (trojan, surrette etc).   

The idea of making a storage bank for at home sounds interesting, to try to not use any power on peak.  But I don't think it would really be worthwhile by the time you consider the cost of the system, and the fact that more than half the hydro bill is fixed fees, not actual usage.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 09:48:22 pm »
The idea of making a storage bank for at home sounds interesting, to try to not use any power on peak.  But I don't think it would really be worthwhile by the time you consider the cost of the system, and the fact that more than half the hydro bill is fixed fees, not actual usage.
If the service charges are that high, it can be worth considering going off grid.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 11:05:07 pm »
If the service charges are that high, it can be worth considering going off grid.

Yeah that is really the only viable way to truly save.  Something I've been looking at.   I have a small property which makes it harder though but could possibly be doable with a natural gas generator as backup.  Would need to be in a sound dampening enclosure of sorts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf