Author Topic: Tesla cars teardown videos/photos  (Read 4686 times)

Offline krystianTopic starter

• Contributor
Tesla cars teardown videos/photos
« on: September 13, 2017, 01:26:44 pm »
There are thousands of Teslas sold worldwide. And there is almost zero hq videos or photos of its teardowns. Why? Is it because of patents or something? I only found some old, low quality videos or photos without focus... I think it would be very interesting to see how this very complicated system is made. Look up part's datasheets etc. From simple keyfob electronics, through display driver to motor inverter.

Maybe if some of you are interested in this too,maybe we can share links in this thread to various photos and videos revealing Tesla's inside which you found on the internet or make one if you can and discuss about them?

I don't know if its against Tesla's patents or some laws, if it is, we will have to close this topic, if not I think it's great idea.  8)

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: Tesla cars teardown videos/photos
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:44:48 pm »
There is a lot on YouTube if you search for Tesla teardown, for instance battery pack, motor and yes even the keyfob you mention:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline krystianTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:55:36 pm »
Videos like this weren't what i mean. I watched it before. It's not technical, you can't really see the board with details, read part numbers etc. Photos, hq ones would have been more valuable than this. They aren't that easy to find.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:57:09 pm by krystian »

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 02:17:13 pm »
Teardown and complete rebuilt of entire cars.
Car Guru https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV0_wbjG8KJADuZT2ct4SA

Reverse engineering Tesla modules/systems.
Damien Maguire's Tesla project https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8sR7IAMOHKV-S_oz3JH3qw
EVTV http://evtv.me/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtSO7VGybs6U__X-Y8l_QmQ

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:41:41 pm »
I don't know if its against Tesla's patents or some laws, if it is, we will have to close this topic, if not I think it's great idea.  8)

I think that Tesla have made most if not all their patents public and free for any one to use.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 07:06:17 pm »
I expect the reason is, most owners would prefer to keep their warranty program rather than void it by hacking things to bits.

And you are looking for the double subset of people who 1) have the money to throw away that much value; 2) are technically inclined enough to take obsessively detailed photos of the innermost workings.  These people are few and far between.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:19 pm »
I think that Tesla have made most if not all their patents public and free for any one to use.

I never cease to be amazed how many people fail to understand the fundamental nature of patents, namely that you openly publish the details of your invention (in your patent) in return for legal exclusivity on exploiting the ideas therein. By definition, if something is patented it is openly published. So there is no possibility of it not being public (excepting of the rare occasion where a government steps in and classifies/makes secret a patent between the application and formal issue).

"Free for any one to use" is a different issue, and in this Tesla is an unusual case.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: DenzilPenberthy

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 01:54:39 am »

Patents are public unless it's classified.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 03:27:14 pm »

Is there such a thing as a 'classified' patent???
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 03:41:53 pm »

Yes, in the UK it's known as a patent secrecy order.

We can't know what has been classified, but you can have a good guess: novel radar techniques (anti-jamming etc.), methods for undetectably intercepting communications, methods for detecting communications interception, anything conceivably of use in nuclear weapons, chemicals that could be used as weapons (e.g novel nerve agents), methods for unfailingly detecting when civil servants, politicians and policemen are lying, and so on.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 04:28:08 pm »
methods for unfailingly detecting when civil servants, politicians and policemen are lying, and so on.

Now we know you're just yanking our chains.

Prior art has been shown in that field for years.

:-DD

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 04:54:17 pm »
methods for unfailingly detecting when civil servants, politicians and policemen are lying, and so on.

Now we know you're just yanking our chains.

Prior art has been shown in that field for years.

:-DD

Tim

Yes, but to be patentable the method must also be 'not obvious', and "their lips are moving" fails that test.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, thm_w

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 05:00:26 pm »
Its all about money, the investment return by showing it publicly, like a complete technical teardown and etc into the net/public is not enough to cover the loss by voiding the warranty.

Look at how people smashed a new released high end cell phone just to generate view counts.

But I guess its done already while ago by Tesla's competitors for corporate R&D, of course, not for public consumption.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 09:49:52 pm »

Yes, in the UK it's known as a patent secrecy order.

We can't know what has been classified, but you can have a good guess: novel radar techniques (anti-jamming etc.), methods for undetectably intercepting communications, methods for detecting communications interception, anything conceivably of use in nuclear weapons, chemicals that could be used as weapons (e.g novel nerve agents), methods for unfailingly detecting when civil servants, politicians and policemen are lying, and so on.

Thanks Cerebus, just been reading around the subject.

So the Patent Secrecy Order (known as a Section 22) actually stops the patent being granted, but will allow you to take it just upto the wire, so if the PSO is lifted it can then be granted & published. 

https://ipcopy.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/patent-box-and-uk-secrecy-orders/
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20140603113101/http://www.ipo.gov.uk/about-facts1112.pdf

So I was listening to James Dyson on Radio4 this morning saying that Dyson file over a 1000 patents a year, apparently more than anyone else, yet on pages 5&6 Dyson rank 9th in 2012 with a mere 66 patents. Interesting to think that they might have increased their 'output' by that much in such a short space of time, or perhaps he includes other territories in that figure. He was also hinting at a breakthrough in battery technology.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 01:53:29 pm »
Some years back I was surprised to see an industrial unit with cyclone dust separators. Apparently this tech has existed for over a hundred years, so how Dyson got a patent for it is a mystery. The patent might have related to its use in a domestic cleaner, but isn't that a case of an 'obvious use' for an existing idea rather than an actual invention?

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 02:31:16 pm »

So I was listening to James Dyson on Radio4 this morning saying that Dyson file over a 1000 patents a year, apparently more than anyone else, yet on pages 5&6 Dyson rank 9th in 2012 with a mere 66 patents. Interesting to think that they might have increased their 'output' by that much in such a short space of time, or perhaps he includes other territories in that figure. He was also hinting at a breakthrough in battery technology.

They may well apply for 1000 patents a year - in reality only 66 of them are either worth pursuing or come back as original and hence get granted.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf