Author Topic: Use 240V household type MCBs in low voltage circuit?  (Read 11307 times)

Offline WA1ICI

• Contributor
    • One Electron
Re: Use 240V household type MCBs in low voltage circuit?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 05:15:53 am »
I think this has been hashed-out successfully - use a breaker with a DC rating.  DC is harder to break, since there are no zero crossings to extinguish the arc.

However, I thought I would relate a relevant incident that happened at my first job at Intel, around 1978.  I was a design engineer on the 8089 I/O processor which followed the 8086 design by about a year. (It never became very successful, but the 8086 - that's another story).  At that time we prototyped microprocessors in a TTL breadboard to test & debug functionality before first silicon came back.  This was in the days before logic simulation.  I got called into the lab by the 8086 lab technician, who wanted me to look into a problem with the 8086 TTL breadboard.  This was built with multiple Augat wire-wrap boards that were mounted in a tall rack cabinet.  At the bottom of the cabinet was a shoe-box sized 5V 200A switching power supply with big (I guess about 8 gauge) insulated wires running to each Augat rack assembly.  The complaint was that the breadboard had stopped working.  Putting a scope on one of the bus lines showed a logic high of about 1.5V.  The VCC was about 3V.  As I was looking around for the problem, I started smelling something hot.  I looked down towards the power supply at the bottom and saw that the +5V wires coming up had no insulation (it was burned off) and were glowing a deep red color.  Tracing the problem, one of the +5V wires had shorted to the rack cabinet due to an over-enthusiastic cable clamp.  At the lowest rack position was a panel with a single household circuit breaker in line with the +5V, rated at 30A, if I remember correctly.  It was somewhat charred, but was otherwise happily passing hundreds of amps from the massively over-sized power supply.  I asked the tech about this, and he thought that a 30 Amp breaker would work just fine.  Two problems here:  Don't use a power supply that is almost an order of magnitude bigger than needed (the bread board used less than 30 Amps), and no, a 60Hz 120VAC circuit breaker doesn't work on 5V DC.  Putting in a smaller power supply with current limiting and fixing the short brought the breadboard back to life.

- John Atwood
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:19:31 am by WA1ICI »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Lomax

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 09:37:08 pm »
It was buried deep in the documentation somewhere but I remember Hagar specified theirs for either 48 or 60 V d.c. - I have a feeling we had to ask them specifically, it wasn't in the device datasheets.

One thing to note when using MCBs on DC - the magnetic trip operates on the peak of the AC waveform so a B type with the magnetic trip that is intended to be 3-5 times rated current but will actually be sqrt(2) higher on DC, almost turning it into a C type.

The following users thanked this post: Lomax

Offline necessaryevil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 07:17:14 am »
Wait... household style breakers are less than 15 UK pounds ($20 USD)? Or do you have them laying around?

On topic:
Look at a electronic wholesale such as Digikey, Farnell or Mouser. A quick look around tells me you can find some cheap ones there. Another solution might be the use of a PTC fuse.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf