Author Topic: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?  (Read 468117 times)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
« Reply #800 on: May 30, 2018, 07:51:25 pm »
Braking issue
In Elon We Trust... let's see what happens in the next few days.

Guess what? All the Tesla Model 3s now stop 20 feet shorter than before.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-model-3/consumer-reports-recommends-teslas-model-3-after-braking-fix-idUSKCN1IV29D

"Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing at Consumer Reports, said he had never seen a car that could improve its track performance with an over-the-air update in his 19-year career at the magazine. "

Welcome to the 21st century, Jack.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:57:28 pm by Fungus »

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #801 on: May 30, 2018, 08:13:13 pm »
Braking issue

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-model-3/consumer-reports-recommends-teslas-model-3-after-braking-fix-idUSKCN1IV29D

"Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing at Consumer Reports, said he had never seen a car that could improve its track performance with an over-the-air update in his 19-year career at the magazine. "

So.....

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #802 on: May 30, 2018, 08:31:58 pm »
The Tesla fanboys... uffff
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #803 on: May 30, 2018, 08:52:47 pm »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #804 on: May 30, 2018, 09:06:50 pm »
Braking issue

If it stops 20 feet shorter than before its still far from best in class. Why are you impressed?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #805 on: May 31, 2018, 08:56:17 am »
If it stops 20 feet shorter than before its still far from best in class. Why are you impressed?

Why aren't you happier now that all your concerns have been addressed?  :-//

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:02:29 am by Fungus »

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #806 on: May 31, 2018, 11:27:28 am »
Stopping 20 feet less didn’t help here.
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-rear-ended-by-street-racing-camaro-driver/

But what a case of great PR about the safety of the Tesla.  No fire, explosion, and no one in the vehicle was hurt.  Got to give a plus 1 to Tesla on this one.

Electric car sales are still only a nano-drop in the bucket, but just look at the growth in sales.  Wonder if the $10,000 in tax credits and rebates have anything to do with it?
https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Just look at the explosive growth in sales of the Porsche Panamera.  Crud a 336% increase in just four months.  Incredible isn’t it?  Projected out to a year Porsche Panamera EV sales will have increased over 1,300%.  ICE or EV those are impressive sales figures.

Thing is, once you drive, own and have to maintain an EV 99.99% will never buy or own an ICE ever again.
The cost to own and maintain and power an EV the pure economics will drive the sales of EV.  It’s in-America to pay more for something when you know someone else is paying less.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #807 on: May 31, 2018, 04:25:20 pm »
  Wonder if the $10,000 in tax credits and rebates have anything to do with it?

It a $7500 federal tax credit. And yes, I'm sure it helps. After all, that is the whole point of the tax credit - to encourage adoption of EVs.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #808 on: June 01, 2018, 05:23:59 am »
Tesla looking bad again.  Here’s the report from the insurance claim.  Tesla car was minding it’s own business safely driving down the street.  When all of a sudden a parked police car ran into it.  Tesla is saying this is just another case of police using excessive force against minority cars. 

See attachment

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #809 on: June 01, 2018, 10:43:01 am »
I find it always funny how these messages are getting blown up.
To put things in perspective, also look at similar accidents with human drivers and you will be amazed. 

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #810 on: June 01, 2018, 01:15:25 pm »
To put things in perspective, also look at similar accidents with human drivers and you will be amazed.

Remember: There's absolutely no limit to how bad human drivers can be.

Ref: https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+drivers&tbm=vid

At least robots don't get angry/drunk/bored/fall asleep.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #811 on: June 01, 2018, 02:58:18 pm »

Or the stories people make up to blame someone else.

I wonder how self driving cars do in snow, heavy rains, when the streets need to be plowed or are all slushy with a mixture of partially melted snow/ice, mud and gravel.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #812 on: June 01, 2018, 03:09:42 pm »
I wonder how self driving cars do in snow, heavy rains, when the streets need to be plowed or are all slushy with a mixture of partially melted snow/ice, mud and gravel.

The computers will have a massive advantage because they'll know what to do, unlike most humans who just assume they can drive normally in their magic driving box.

PS: The humans are already dependent on computer help. ABS, traction control, etc.

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #813 on: June 01, 2018, 03:14:11 pm »
In a sea of white snow will they be able to navigate.  No white lines to track.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #814 on: June 01, 2018, 04:00:30 pm »

The computers will have a massive advantage because they'll know what to do, unlike most humans who just assume they can drive normally in their magic driving box.

PS: The humans are already dependent on computer help. ABS, traction control, etc.

“they'll know what to do”, meaning computers?  Not quite.  I’t humans who program the computers so they “know” what to do in a specific set of circumstances. It is man’s reasoning the computers are following.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #815 on: June 01, 2018, 04:59:36 pm »
The computers will have a massive advantage because they'll know what to do
“they'll know what to do”, meaning computers?  Not quite.  I’t humans who program the computers so they “know” what to do in a specific set of circumstances. It is man’s reasoning the computers are following.

ie. The computers will know what to do.  :-//

The "specific set of circumstances" is driving on a slippery surface. There's not many variants on that and computers already do it better than humans. The computers are so good that we've already passed laws mandating their installation to help humans drive better.

(ie. it already happened, it's not just an imaginary future that I'm inventing in my head).

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #816 on: June 02, 2018, 11:40:35 pm »

Why did you not mention Next Gen Nuclear?
Not only do we have an endless supply of fuel, (water) we will be able to produce as much electricity as the world can consume.  And not only that it's clean, green, renewable, cheap, non-polluting, environmentally friendly, no radioactive byproducts or waste, endless supply of fuel with no mining or processing, and should there be a massive nuclear accident in 15-20 years the nuclear fuel will have completely decayed away and the area would be completely safe to inhabit.

This smells of the bullshit put out in the early days of conventional nuclear fission reactors such as "it will be soooo cheap that you won't be able to meter it" and it is infallibly safe etc etc.

Thorium-based nuclear power uses thorium to create an isotope of uranium and through a few steps of radioactive decay yields 233 29 U as the fuel. It has a half-life of more than 160,000 years. That's a long time to wait to go back home after an accident.

It's not environmentally friendly (what is?) Thorium is mined as monazite. It has to be processed into the pure element. Open cast mining is one of the most environmentally destructive activities our species has managed to inflict on this planet.

It won't be of commercial relevance for at least another 20 to 25 years.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:46:29 pm by JohnnyMalaria »

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #817 on: June 03, 2018, 12:24:43 am »

Why did you not mention Next Gen Nuclear?
Not only do we have an endless supply of fuel, (water) we will be able to produce as much electricity as the world can consume.  And not only that it's clean, green, renewable, cheap, non-polluting, environmentally friendly, no radioactive byproducts or waste, endless supply of fuel with no mining or processing, and should there be a massive nuclear accident in 15-20 years the nuclear fuel will have completely decayed away and the area would be completely safe to inhabit.

This smells of the bullshit put out in the early days of conventional nuclear fission reactors such as "it will be soooo cheap that you won't be able to meter it" and it is infallibly safe etc etc.

Thorium-based nuclear power uses thorium to create an isotope of uranium and through a few steps of radioactive decay yields 233 29 U as the fuel. It has a half-life of more than 160,000 years. That's a long time to wait to go back home after an accident.

It's not environmentally friendly (what is?) Thorium is mining as an ore. It has to be converted to the pure element. Open cast mining is one of the most environmentally destructive activities our species has managed to inflict on this planet.

It won't be of commercial relevance for at least another 20 to 25 years.

Thorium reactors are a thing of the past.  Lots of promises, too many technical problems which could not be solved. China was working on one and just gave up this year.  They spent years trying to come up with solutions for all of the technical challenges and finally realized there were no solutions.

China like many other coutnries have realized the best solution with providing the wold with electricity is Next Gen Nuclear. It's renewable, green, has no long lived radioactive waste, and we have an abundance of nucear materail.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
« Reply #818 on: June 03, 2018, 12:34:15 am »
Do you mean fusion?

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #819 on: June 03, 2018, 12:41:08 am »
Yup - There are six completely different approaches being taken and so far we have not run into any obstacles we haven't been able to solve so far.  I don't think anyone is conducting research on MSRs at this time.  China was the holdout, but they just gave up.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
« Reply #820 on: June 03, 2018, 12:55:29 am »
I see the industry's PR spin hard at work :) NextGen? It's been around for decades.

Though it may be fair to say that there's no radioactive waste, the reactors themselves will be as radioactive as fission reactors and will have to be dealt with accordingly at the point of decommissioning.

The technological advances are extraordinary and the idea of recreating the conditions of the sun in a building is very cool (or hot) but there's that issue of getting out more energy than you put in.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #821 on: June 03, 2018, 01:05:26 am »
I see the industry's PR spin hard at work :) NextGen? It's been around for decades.

Though it may be fair to say that there's no radioactive waste, the reactors themselves will be as radioactive as fission reactors and will have to be dealt with accordingly at the point of decommissioning.

The technological advances are extraordinary and the idea of recreating the conditions of the sun in a building is very cool (or hot) but there's that issue of getting out more energy than you put in.

There is radioactive waste, but it's not long lived, very short half-life.  In just 25 years ALL of the radiaion will have decayed away. 

We have already recerated and ecceeded the fusion conditions and temperaute on Earth in four of the designs.  (The other two orginizations are not saying.  But it's thought they must have done the same becases the billionares are still funding them.)

The issue of getting more energy out than one puts in has been solved also.  We have already done it.  The next challenge is how to sustain that release of energy.  THere's no indication we won't be able to do that either  We are working on it.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #822 on: June 03, 2018, 01:23:24 am »

Well I have seen enough official research, basically >96% of ALL accidents is because of human error.

So in all these news items about self driving cars I would really like to see a very decent analyses how humans would perform in the same conditions.
I highly doubt if that would be any better.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #823 on: June 03, 2018, 01:31:56 am »

Well I have seen enough official research, basically >96% of ALL accidents is because of human error.

So in all these news items about self driving cars I would really like to see a very decent analyses how humans would perform in the same conditions.
I highly doubt if that would be any better.

Humans would be perfored 99.99999% better.  And in the accidents where there as a fatality, the human drivers under the same cirucmstances would not have caused a fatality or even an injury.

Humans are good at somethings, machines are better at others.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
« Reply #824 on: June 03, 2018, 01:39:06 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf