Author Topic: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?  (Read 465222 times)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
« Reply #925 on: June 14, 2018, 09:15:07 am »
And let’s not forget it takes Tesla drivers many hours longer to make the trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco because they keep having to stop to get recharged. 

"Hours"? Citation needed.

And ... you're conveniently ignoring all the trips made to gas stations by everybody while Tesla owners are filling up at home.

You don't want a Tesla? Don't buy one!

But wahat's your motivation for going around telling Tesla owners they've made an imaginary mistake? Sounds to me like you be hatin'.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:17:45 am by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #926 on: June 14, 2018, 09:34:38 am »
And let’s not forget it takes Tesla drivers many hours longer to make the trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco because they keep having to stop to get recharged.
Hours? One 30 minute stop at supercharger is enough to get from Los Angeles to San Francisco. Don't say that you won't make any stops with ICE car to fill the gas tank and to dump waste at gas station.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #927 on: June 14, 2018, 10:43:16 am »
Lol, yeah, it's hate speech...

Meanwhile for long trips "away from civilization" better drop a generator in the trunk, just in case.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #928 on: June 14, 2018, 11:53:23 am »
Hours? One 30 minute stop at supercharger is enough to get from Los Angeles to San Francisco. Don't say that you won't make any stops with ICE car to fill the gas tank and to dump waste at gas station.
But that takes a few minutes at maximum. Even less when only changing driver.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #929 on: June 14, 2018, 12:36:40 pm »
First of all, not a few minutes. Filling gas and dumping shit will take a bit more. Secondly, good luck driving 600 km with only a few minutes stop. Sure you can do that, the question is if you want to do so. Not to say, you likely will want to eat something as well.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:39:24 pm by wraper »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #930 on: June 14, 2018, 12:39:47 pm »
Dear Tesla fanboys, for your info:

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #931 on: June 14, 2018, 12:47:29 pm »
Please stop polluting this thread with off-topic and off-topic+political videos.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #932 on: June 14, 2018, 12:48:31 pm »
First of all, not a few minutes. Filling gas and dumping shit will take a bit more. Secondly, good luck driving 600 km with only a few minutes stop. Sure you can do that, the question is if you want to do so. Not to say, you likely will want to eat something as well.
I don't need to shit & eat all day (I'm not a cow). A breakfast and dinner is enough. Travelling 600km takes about 5 to 6 hours so there is more than enough time to do the driving between shitting & eating. Experience has taught me to stay clear from restaurants along the road anyway so we plan dinners around that.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:57:18 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #933 on: June 14, 2018, 01:03:45 pm »
I don't need to shit & eat all day (I'm not a cow). A breakfast and dinner is enough. Travelling 600km takes about 5 to 6 hours so there is more than enough time to do the driving. Experience has taught me to stay clear from restaurants along the road anyway so we plan dinners around that.
Talk for yourself. Average people won't miss their lunch just to arrive to destination 10 minutes earlier. Even if you take food with yourself, you are not supposed to eat while driving but if you do, hello Tesla autopilot. Also as you are living in Netherlands, I have my doubts you have to drive anywhere further than 200-300 km.
BTW check some EU laws https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/eu-rules. Sure this is not applicable to personal car, but says something.
a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes after no more than 4 hours 30 minutes driving

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #934 on: June 14, 2018, 01:11:51 pm »
Just don't forget that trains and ships have electric motors. Diesel is for generating electricity only. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel%E2%80%93electric_transmission

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #935 on: June 14, 2018, 01:51:23 pm »
And that, in spite of 300+ years of industrial development, 90% of the world's electricity is still generated by boiling water :)

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #936 on: June 14, 2018, 01:54:14 pm »
I don't need to shit & eat all day (I'm not a cow). A breakfast and dinner is enough. Travelling 600km takes about 5 to 6 hours so there is more than enough time to do the driving. Experience has taught me to stay clear from restaurants along the road anyway so we plan dinners around that.
Talk for yourself. Average people won't miss their lunch just to arrive to destination 10 minutes earlier. Even if you take food with yourself, you are not supposed to eat while driving but if you do, hello Tesla autopilot. Also as you are living in Netherlands, I have my doubts you have to drive anywhere further than 200-300 km.
BTW check some EU laws https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/eu-rules. Sure this is not applicable to personal car, but says something.
We drive 600 to 800 km per day regulary on trips across Europe and with two drivers each can have more than enough rest before driving again (I usually take a nap). You can theorize any way you want but in reality waiting / pausing for 40 to 60 minutes along the road just takes time away for doing something useful, dinner and/or sleep. If you want to go from A to B quickly make sure to start with a full stomage, eat a candy bar (like a Snickers) in the afternoon and have dinner at the destination. Been there, done that many times.

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle, JohnnyMalaria

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #937 on: June 14, 2018, 02:29:49 pm »
We drive 600 to 800 km per day regulary on trips across Europe and with two drivers each can have more than enough rest before driving again (I usually take a nap).
Then please say how typical is having 2 drivers to avoid having a rest in the middle of the trip?

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #938 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:51 pm »
2 drivers is typical on holidays but not resting at all is a bit strange. Everyone gets tired and wants to stretch their legs or go to the toilet, I wonder how the drivers change seats when not stopping  :)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #939 on: June 14, 2018, 03:33:39 pm »
Everyone gets tired and wants to stretch their legs or go to the toilet, I wonder how the drivers change seats when not stopping  :)
I never wrote that. However going to the toilet or just swapping drivers only takes a very short stop. And how can you get tired from sitting/sleeping in a comfortable car?

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #940 on: June 14, 2018, 04:37:20 pm »
Meh, put it back in your pants. 5 year Model S driver here.  Never been stranded, not even close.

That's because most EV owners have a good old ICE too and choose wisely before going out on long trips.
facts or speculation.  I don't have an ICE to "back me up".  Still never been stranded. Quit making up shit. And those "power out events" also affect ICEs since gas stations need electricity for their pumps.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #941 on: June 14, 2018, 05:06:28 pm »
Meh, put it back in your pants. 5 year Model S driver here.  Never been stranded, not even close.

That's because most EV owners have a good old ICE too and choose wisely before going out on long trips.
facts or speculation.  I don't have an ICE to "back me up".  Still never been stranded. Quit making up shit. And those "power out events" also affect ICEs since gas stations need electricity for their pumps.
Most EV owners don't have a car with the range of a Tesla. They have something like a Leaf. The Leaf does seem popular as a second car for a family, and its range is a good match for that application. I doubt its very common for both cars in a 2 car family to be making a long trip on the same day.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #942 on: June 14, 2018, 05:18:13 pm »
We drive 600 to 800 km per day regulary on trips across Europe and with two drivers each can have more than enough rest before driving again (I usually take a nap).
Then please say how typical is having 2 drivers to avoid having a rest in the middle of the trip?
With two kids, 400km, then an hour stop then 300km is the absolute max we can do.
I drive relaxed, so i actually reach constructors ranges in ICE cars, so an 85 or 90kwh Tesla S would actually cover my needs.
I had a coworker with a 75 S who would get way over 400kmh on a charge, but that’s Antwerp traffic for you, 60kmh average on the motorway...
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #943 on: June 14, 2018, 05:19:19 pm »

Most EV owners don't have a car with the range of a Tesla. They have something like a Leaf. The Leaf does seem popular as a second car for a family, and its range is a good match for that application. I doubt its very common for both cars in a 2 car family to be making a long trip on the same day.
The claim confronted was particularly about Tesla drivers being stranded and spending multiple hours in charging to drive 600km. As of Nissan Leaf, there are more Tesla cars sold than those. Production of Tesla is also ramping up hugely right now.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #944 on: June 14, 2018, 05:27:42 pm »

"Only changing driver"?  :-DD   :-DD  :-DD

Sounds like somebody needs an autopilot.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #945 on: June 15, 2018, 12:35:24 am »

Not according to Tesla owners.  They have to make multiple stops for that trips and they can be screwed if there’s an accident or road work with a detour.   

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #946 on: June 15, 2018, 12:42:07 am »
I'm curious and couldn't find any useful information online - what's the hit on range for an EV if you take a 3-hour trip in the southern US in the middle of the summer while running the A/C (typically 100% of the time)? Or heating the car in the depths of winter in the mid-West?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #947 on: June 15, 2018, 08:56:08 am »
Not according to Tesla owners.  They have to make multiple stops for that trips and they can be screwed if there’s an accident or road work with a detour.

Evidence? Doug doesn't need no pesky evidence.  :-DD

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #948 on: June 15, 2018, 10:00:33 am »
I'm curious and couldn't find any useful information online - what's the hit on range for an EV if you take a 3-hour trip in the southern US in the middle of the summer while running the A/C (typically 100% of the time)? Or heating the car in the depths of winter in the mid-West?

An A/C eats a few kW times 3h say 9kWh at least which is about 50km of range at hypermiling speeds.

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #949 on: June 15, 2018, 06:53:47 pm »

Cooling is a very small hit on range, maybe a percent or two. Winter heating is much worse - I think heap pumps are being phased in so that may change. Also, the battery when cold delivers less power. Figure a 10-20% hit in cold weather. The way EV owners think about it is Watt Hours per mile.  In summer I get 305-315 Wh/mile, in winter, 340-350 though winters here are reasonably mild.  By the way, ICEs also see winter efficiency loss but people don't seem to care (or simply ignore because it doesn't support their arguments).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf