Author Topic: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?  (Read 468462 times)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
« Reply #2150 on: November 10, 2018, 08:35:18 pm »
Sounds like someone backed out of the bed the wrong way this morning.

Which, I'm told, is illegal in California and several other jurisdictions.  :P

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2151 on: November 11, 2018, 05:46:28 am »
I'd like a thread about Tesla cars, good and bad, I have a Tesla S with questions like putting in a ham radio at 1500 watts, and servicing the shocks, brakes, preventing rust etc. I use Fluid Film to prevent rust on my Honda Element
It will park itself backwards, much quickly than a bluehair (Teslas, not Elements).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:49:05 am by jh15 »
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2152 on: November 11, 2018, 06:34:23 am »

No! It's known to cause cancer. ;D

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2153 on: November 11, 2018, 04:05:28 pm »

No! It's known to cause cancer. ;D

Note true in California, we do tt forwards and backwards and sometimes we even do it sideways.  In San Francisco however, sometimes we do it with motorcycles, bikes, and hoverboards.  But never with horses.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:08:58 pm by DougSpindler »

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #2154 on: November 11, 2018, 06:27:32 pm »
I'd like a thread about Tesla cars, good and bad, I have a Tesla S with questions like putting in a ham radio at 1500 watts, and servicing the shocks, brakes, preventing rust etc. I use    to prevent rust on my Honda Element
It will park itself backwards, much quickly than a bluehair.

There's an 'electric car experiences' which hopefully gets away from the silly stuff in this thread.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2155 on: November 12, 2018, 01:05:25 am »
Could somebody please elaborate on the matter of backing into a parking space vs. pulling in straight ahead? Eight consecutive posts about this existential question are really only scratching the surface... Any anecdotes, case studies, personal experience please?

:palm:
I've worked with a couple volunteer fireman.  They always back in and also out of habit put it in park, shutoff the ignition, unbuckle, tilt the wheel up and open the door all at the same time faster than I can even reach for the seatbelt buckle.  Its part of their training, if they get paged they need to go fast and pulling out is faster than backing out.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2156 on: November 12, 2018, 03:32:49 am »
Problem with backing in is the exhaust, carbon monoxide fumes are right at someone’s door or windows.  It’s like driving on the left or right, it’s more of a custom or law than engineering thing.

I will say I think pilling head in and backing out is far safer than backing in and pulling out.  If you were to back in you have less visibility and more of a chance to hitting someone or something.  When you back out you have the other drivers facing forward with a clear view that can either avoid you or see what it is you are about to run over.  I feel very uncomfortable when I have to back into a space.  You just cah’t see very well especially on the passenger side of the car.  Always worried I might hit a little kid or the car next to me when backing in.

I drove emergenccey vechicles too.  And yes we always backed in, but or partner had to get out of the vehicles and make sure we weren’t about to hit something. 

Hope this helps. 

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2157 on: November 12, 2018, 04:05:33 am »
Problem with backing in is the exhaust, carbon monoxide fumes are right at someone’s door or windows.  It’s like driving on the left or right, it’s more of a custom or law than engineering thing.

I will say I think pilling head in and backing out is far safer than backing in and pulling out.  If you were to back in you have less visibility and more of a chance to hitting someone or something.  When you back out you have the other drivers facing forward with a clear view that can either avoid you or see what it is you are about to run over.  I feel very uncomfortable when I have to back into a space.  You just cah’t see very well especially on the passenger side of the car.  Always worried I might hit a little kid or the car next to me when backing in.

I drove emergenccey vechicles too.  And yes we always backed in, but or partner had to get out of the vehicles and make sure we weren’t about to hit something. 

Hope this helps.
I would agree except if you have a back up camera.  Then it's much easier.  I love my backup camera.  (It's an electric camera so it's relevant to this thread.  :)  )

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2158 on: November 12, 2018, 04:17:05 am »
True, but a back-up camera only offers limited visibility.  Not the same as someone actually being there.

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2159 on: November 12, 2018, 09:41:22 pm »
True, but a back-up camera only offers limited visibility.  Not the same as someone actually being there.
You get to turn your head also.  Works fine for me.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2160 on: November 13, 2018, 03:57:25 am »
I

Head turning might work if your a driving a car....  Buy not when you are driving a big honking emergaency vehcicale.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2161 on: November 13, 2018, 04:06:22 am »
I

Head turning might work if your a driving a car....  Buy not when you are driving a big honking emergency vehicle.

Which just emphasizes the point that there isn't one correct answer for this.  Those who need to make a quick exit (bank robbers, first responders, people in danger from fire, tidal waves and so on) will definitely want to back in.  In spite of the hazard that many cars have more overhang in back and any curb or bumpstop may not prevent damage, and in spite of presenting fumes to those behind and in spite of the extra hazard of backing in.  People with other priority requirements will make the other choice.  Both will be right for their situation.

Those driving a big unwieldy vehicle will back differently than those driving a motorcycle  (who'd of thunk it?).

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2162 on: November 13, 2018, 04:53:23 am »
I

Head turning might work if your a driving a car....  Buy not when you are driving a big honking emergency vehicle.

Which just emphasizes the point that there isn't one correct answer for this.  Those who need to make a quick exit (bank robbers, first responders, people in danger from fire, tidal waves and so on) will definitely want to back in.  In spite of the hazard that many cars have more overhang in back and any curb or bumpstop may not prevent damage, and in spite of presenting fumes to those behind and in spite of the extra hazard of backing in.  People with other priority requirements will make the other choice.  Both will be right for their situation.

Those driving a big unwieldy vehicle will back differently than those driving a motorcycle  (who'd of thunk it?).

Yes, some old Harley Davidsons intended for use with a sidecar do have reverse gears.
The first time I saw one reverse, I thought I was seeing things.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2163 on: November 13, 2018, 10:57:44 am »
https://qz.com/1460673/volkswagen-will-make-50-million-electric-cars/

"VW understands that, and aims to take the wind out of Tesla’s sails (and sales) by offering its entry-level EV for less than €20,000 ($23,000)"

"The company has already broken ground on an electric-car factory in China and secured a battery source for 50 million cars, Diess told Automotive News in an interview published Nov. 12. “I think we have the best setup strategy for the electric vehicles to come,” Diess said."

20K EUR is the price of a golf, about half the price of an e-golf. So expect price to drop significantly. As I predicted.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2164 on: November 13, 2018, 11:23:52 am »

"VW understands that, and aims to take the wind out of Tesla’s sails (and sales) by offering its entry-level EV for less than €20,000 ($23,000)"

"The company has already broken ground on an electric-car factory in China and secured a battery source for 50 million cars, Diess told Automotive News in an interview published Nov. 12. “I think we have the best setup strategy for the electric vehicles to come,” Diess said."

20K EUR is the price of a golf, about half the price of an e-golf. So expect price to drop significantly. As I predicted.
For as long as the price doesn't actually drop your prediction is just a prediction. Note that VWs current EV the e-Golf has a very small battery pack. Since the biggest cost of an EV is the battery pack it is only logical that it is cheaper. But a small battery pack also seriously limits the range. Especially when driving on the highway.

All VW is doing is window dressing because of Dieselgate. Ask yourself: Why is that factory in China and not in Europe? I think I know the answer: China is banking heavily on electric cars even though a large portion of the electricity comes from fossil fuels(*). The Chinese seems to be wanting to master electric car technology for export. Then ask yourself why is VW willing to give that technology to the Chinese? Everyone knows that the Chinese will undercut western companies as soon as the can (see Rigol and Keysight as an example). Perhaps VW sees a different future in which electric cars aren't important for the world market at all but at the moment some money can be made and their image can be repaired. VW spends less money on the factories in China than Dieselgate has cost them so far.

* With an average CO2 emission of over 600grams per kWh (in China) even an efficient short range EV like the e-Golf produces over 100 grams of CO2 per km.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:50:09 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2165 on: November 13, 2018, 12:57:38 pm »

We do not need more VW's on the roads, please just go bankrupt already

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2166 on: November 13, 2018, 03:24:05 pm »
At the time of Dieselgate it was revealed the president of VW said he wated VW to dominate the world.  (I think he meant in car sales).

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2167 on: November 13, 2018, 04:42:19 pm »

For as long as the price doesn't actually drop your prediction is just a prediction. Note that VWs current EV the e-Golf has a very small battery pack. Since the biggest cost of an EV is the battery pack it is only logical that it is cheaper. But a small battery pack also seriously limits the range. Especially when driving on the highway.

All VW is doing is window dressing because of Dieselgate. Ask yourself: Why is that factory in China and not in Europe? I think I know the answer: China is banking heavily on electric cars even though a large portion of the electricity comes from fossil fuels(*). The Chinese seems to be wanting to master electric car technology for export. Then ask yourself why is VW willing to give that technology to the Chinese? Everyone knows that the Chinese will undercut western companies as soon as the can (see Rigol and Keysight as an example). Perhaps VW sees a different future in which electric cars aren't important for the world market at all but at the moment some money can be made and their image can be repaired. VW spends less money on the factories in China than Dieselgate has cost them so far.

* With an average CO2 emission of over 600grams per kWh (in China) even an efficient short range EV like the e-Golf produces over 100 grams of CO2 per km.
Actually, the cars are going to be assembled in Germany, and the battery plant is in Hungary.
https://insideevs.com/sk-innovation-began-construction-of-7-5-gwh-battery-plant-in-hungary/
BYD is now the second largest electric car manufacturer after Tesla and 10% of all sales must be electric in china. So they are a large market now, but that is going to change very soon.
But it doesnt really matter if the Chinese get very good at making electric cars. They will still be 20 years behind in safety, just like the american cars will lack good taste and refinement. Look at export statistics. Slovakia exported twice as many cars as china. Nobody is interested in them.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2168 on: November 13, 2018, 05:07:22 pm »
Times, technology and people's minds change over time.  Past performance is no indication of the future.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2169 on: November 13, 2018, 05:23:39 pm »
So after watching this why would one not want to buy a Tesla?

https://youtu.be/gM_x5DKAfzk

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:27:55 pm by DougSpindler »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2170 on: November 13, 2018, 05:40:26 pm »

Because the guy is not entirely impartial, but tries to make money from the referral link right below the video?
(If you view the video via his Youtube page.)

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2171 on: November 13, 2018, 05:54:22 pm »

Because the guy is not entirely impartial, but tries to make money from the referral link right below the video?
(If you view the video via his Youtube page.)
//
And just how much money, if any, do you think this guy is making from his referral link? 

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2172 on: November 13, 2018, 06:10:42 pm »
And just how much money, if any, do you think this guy is making from his referral link?

Apparently he hopes that it will be enough to justify being viewed as an "influencer", rather than an impartial producer of videos.

Obviously I don't know how many referrals he actually gets; and Tesla apparently has changed the rules of the referral program occasionally. Until a few weeks ago, five referrals apparently got you a $5900 PowerWall. Or you can opt for $250 cash for each referral.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/10/06/massive-expansion-of-tesla-referral-program-offers-100-supercharging-to-all-tesla-buyers-innovative-prizes/

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2173 on: November 13, 2018, 06:29:00 pm »

Apparently he hopes that it will be enough to justify being viewed as an "influencer", rather than an impartial producer of videos.

Obviously I don't know how many referrals he actually gets; and Tesla apparently has changed the rules of the referral program occasionally. Until a few weeks ago, five referrals apparently got you a $5900 PowerWall. Or you can opt for $250 cash for each referral.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/10/06/massive-expansion-of-tesla-referral-program-offers-100-supercharging-to-all-tesla-buyers-innovative-prizes/

Look at the post date, few days ago,  and the date he has to get five people to signup.  (Less than a month.). So the guy MAYBE gets $250 what’s your problem with that?

More imprortantly is there anything he stated in the video that’s false, misleading or incorrect?     

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2174 on: November 13, 2018, 07:01:18 pm »
Leaving things out is also misleading. Not telling something important is just as bad as lying.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf