Author Topic: 10 turn counting dial is crusty or bumpy  (Read 1824 times)

Offline uoficowboyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
10 turn counting dial is crusty or bumpy
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:33:16 am »
I'm working on restoring an active load. It has a 10 turn pot and a 10 turn counting dial labeled "Duodial" made by Beckman Instruments. If I turn it, it moves rather stiffly and sort of bumpily. Very unpleasant. It does have a lock on it that I have in unlocked position (locking it makes it completely stop moving). I removed the dial and the pot itself turns without any issues - the problem definitely seems to be the dial.

Anybody have any experience with fixing these things?

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
Re: 10 turn counting dial is crusty or bumpy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 01:22:40 pm »
Refer to the thread,
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/used-helipot-and-duodial-rb-cleanlube/msg622555/#msg622555
About cleaning the same counting dial etc and in which you made the last post !!.
Perhaps some useful info  :-//
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline EPTech

• Regular Contributor
    • EP Technical Services
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 01:42:44 pm »
Hi there,

I do not recommend opening that up just yet. Soak it in isopropanol and give it a good air burst. repeat that a few times. Regrease with white spray grease, the kind they use to grease plastic moving parts in CD/DVD players and VCR's, yes I am getting old :palm:.
Kind greetings,

Pascal.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:29:12 pm »
Just a week or so ago I worked on a dial like that.  It would bind when I hit the point where the outer number tried to increment.  It turned out that it wasn't dirt or crud, it was mechanical.  Put the dial down on a flat surface and push hard on the knob.  Problem solved.  The outer surface piece gets pushed against the inside and binds on the internal mechanism.  Pushing down on the knob puts the pieces back into position.  The difference between working and binding is only a fraction of a millimeter.

Ed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf