Author Topic: 12V/240V -> 12-20V laptop power supply with 12kHz whine  (Read 1807 times)

Offline mozTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
12V/240V -> 12-20V laptop power supply with 12kHz whine
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:23:57 am »
I bought a cheap UNIVERSAL100W 12V-24V 5A Max Laptop AC Adapter Power Supply Charger with Carplug  off eBay for $40 (did not come with car plug, but I didn't want that anyway). It actually works quite well for my intended purpose - running the laptop off a 100AH 12V SLA in my shed. Laptop draws about 20W so it's no big strain on anything, but it runs noticeably warm to the touch. Opening it up there are a few tear-down comments:

• some of the end-cap screws are pre-stripped for your convenience
  • only the display driver chip has had the markings ground off, and that was done badly
  • there are isolation slots in somewhat random locations, and plastic-coated isolation barriers under the main board and between the 240V input and rest
  • the transformer seems really awful to me
  • there's a weird tiny contact between the inside heatsink and the case

The really annoying thing is that there's a 12.1kHz whine coming out of it, and I'm not entirely sure exactly where from. My inclination is to hot-snot or silicon the inductor and see if that helps, but I'd appreciate the expert opinions of anyone with an oar to poke in. Am I likely to wreck it by running amok with some silicone sealant/glue (construction adhesive), or with a hot glue gun (assuming I steer clear of the heatsinks)?

I will take better photos tomorrow with a proper setup, but for now here's some cellphone snaps to hopefully give you some ideas.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:27:38 am by moz »

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: 12V/240V -> 12-20V laptop power supply with 12kHz whine
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:50:27 am »
Don't use random silicone for electronics. Some of them realease acetic acid.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: moz

Offline mozTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:07:41 am »
Metal case without double insulation nor ground pin, fail.  For 99.9% of time it won't kill you, but I bet you don't want to take the chance. This is a proper AC/DC input laptop PSU, and it is very affordable.

Sadly "This item does not ship to Australia.". But I can buy it here... for $90.

I do take your point about the lack of grounding, but I have no intention of plugging it into 240V ever, for that reason. I bought the supply because there's no mains in my shed, which helps me avoid that temptation. The mains cable supplied is also a cheap non-approved chinesium one that was surprisingly rigid for its diameter.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:09:53 am by moz »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:06:23 pm »
You can use a drinking straw as a stethoscope to determine which of the magnetics is emitting the whine. It might be a ceramic cap too.

Offline mozTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 03:42:00 am »
The noise is worse, and I have a better spectrum, again using a simple spectrum analyser on my phone. But I'm also having (more important) issues with a new solar charge controller only giving about half the expected output, so I have not opened this thing up again yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf