Author Topic: 83752A YIG output going into the noise floor on the low band output.  (Read 1242 times)

Offline jadewTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hey guys,

I bought a used 83752A and it turns out it's broken, although the seller said it's working. Turns out that it's unable to output anything between 2 GHz and about 3-4 GHz (this part seems to vary).

It's a Dual YIG oscillator and one side generates signals between 2 and 11 GHz, while the other one between 11 and 20 GHz. The issue is on the 2 to 11 GHz side and I'm wondering if it's repairable.

Including customs and shipping, it has set me back a lot and returning it would not even make sense (I live in Europe and it got shipped from the US). The seller had 0 rating, so I suppose they knew what they were selling. Basically I'm stuck with it.

Anyway, I'd hate to lose all that money and I was wondering if it's possible to fix the YIG. There are no schematics available for (for anything) so if anyone has any pointers, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Edit: I talked to the seller, she seems genuinely surprised and offered to try to help with the issue.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:32:29 pm by jadew »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 83752A YIG output going into the noise floor on the low band output.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:05:50 pm »
Do you think it's a good idea to fiddle with the potentiometers at the bottom?

Online vaualbus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:03:57 pm »
Had you verified that the the current on the yig is right?
Do the YIG have two coil inside? So maybye on side is working and other side had a defective current sources?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 01:30:51 pm »
I have not, I don't know how many coils it has. Do you mean 2 main coils?

BTW, I won't attempt any repair right now, because I'm in discussions with the seller and I don't want to make any alterations, in case I have to return it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf