Author Topic: advantest r3131a master oscilator calibration  (Read 1494 times)

Offline cncjerryTopic starter

• Supporter
advantest r3131a master oscilator calibration
« on: July 08, 2015, 06:30:35 am »
I have had the subject spectrum analyzer for a year, works well, came with the tracking generator, but my WWV testing confirms the master oscillator is off 180hz at 10Mhz.  I've tested it against other sources as well.  I isolated the WWV carrier with a crystal filter then measured it with the analyzer's counter.  I also brought the resulting signal out using the tracking generator while the unit wasn't triggered and measured it with a known counter.  In both cases the delta was 182hz.  I have a way to feed it an accurate 10Mhz signal in the back, so I can get around the problem, but it annoys me.  I also used an A/B function in a Tektronix counter and that gave me the same delta.  The offset is less as the measured signal drops.

I tried pulling it apart, was able to get the back cover off, but there must be a trick to disassembling it further.  I thought if I got it apart I would find the 30Mhz master oscillator and give it a tweak but can't even get that far.  Sounds like I must be pretty lame but I can assure you I am good at puzzles. Taking the back cover off just exposes a ton of sheet metal;  the front bezel comes right off but there I am stuck.  It seems like the wrap-around casing should slide off the front maybe but it won't budge.

Anyway, if someone has experiences with this unit, please pass along the secret.
 :-DD
Thanks.

Jerry   

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: advantest r3131a master oscilator calibration
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:08:58 am »
Send a request for a service manual to Advantest Japan.
They usually respond right away within a day or so and attach the manual or send a link to it.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf