Author Topic: Aeroflex IFR 3416 Signal Generator (6GHz) No RF Output & Error # 522  (Read 1654 times)

Offline rickellsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
hi,

I just acquired an Aeroflex IFR 3416 6GHz Signal Generator with an ERROR #522 and No RF output !
This is an Aeroflex Marconi  IFR 3410 series (3410 - 3416).

Just started examining the unit and need some help:
-- Don't know how to disassemble to get to the RF PCB board (sandwich) , any ideas ??
  ---  How does one run the unit, powered On but disassembled so that one can view the LED's on the RF PCB ??
-- Can't find the Service Manual online and sure can't afford the $400 price that Cobham wants for it.
The Operating manual, is on-line, has a simple block diagram, but little Service info.

If someone can email me the Service Manual for the IFR 3410 to 3416, it would be much appreciated.

My #522 ERROR says "power supply problem; hint: RF board."
The Operating manual gives no clue.
All 9 Power LED's are Green, all 9 PCB fuses are good, and the one large in-line fuse is good.
My Supply voltages are a little low (0.2 to 0.5 V) in some instances: Not sure of the significance.
+11.81 V
+  3.35
+  6.49
+11.28
+11.26
+ 4.93
+ 6.48
+26.86

I can see ~ 8 Red Led's that are On, (steady On) in the RF PCB (sandwiched between the top cpu/PS/GPIB boards on Top, & the large metal sealed RF unit on the bottom.  The 8 Red Led's seem to be grouped Front: (4), (3), (1) : Back.
I have no idea what the proper disassembly sequence is to get to the RF PCB, nor how to open the Sealed RF unit correctly (many screws).

There is also a Red Blinking "Led D7+"  "Boot 0" on one of the top (CPU ?) boards (PCB barcode#  44830/367 01043 09) near IC 34, which seems to be a regulator IC of some kind. It is blinking in some sort of lengthy Morse code blinks (Short-Long-Short-Short, etc.) I have not easily been able to determine its complete sequence yet, but will soon.   All utility key-press functions appear to work correctly, and display/cpu functions appear to work.

The large RF metal package on the bottom is quite hot to the touch in several places:
Possibly some short or issue inside?

Bottom Temperature position locations:
Back
1   2   3   
4   5   6 
7   8   9
Front

Positions #2,3, 5,6 are very hot to the touch.

Any hints for next steps & Service Manual .pdf would help.
Thank you
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:45:02 pm by rickells »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf