Author Topic: Akai 1731W Reel 2 Reel Channel Rec Issue  (Read 4840 times)

Offline wblackledgTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Akai 1731W Reel 2 Reel Channel Rec Issue
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:32:44 am »
I picked up an Akai 1731W at an estate sale today.

Almost everything works.

However, the left channel is the only one that you can record on.

Audio passes thru the right side, but it doesn't record. Overwriting previously recorded Audio works but When you do record, the right channel is just blank.

So its like the signal is making it out of the recorder and the unit is attempted to record, but no signal is making it to the tape head?

ideas?

thanks.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:28:23 am by wblackledg »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Akai 1731W Reel 2 Reel Channel Rec Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 07:00:29 pm »
Can someone recommend a repair forum site for old vintage stuff like this?

thanks.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 07:25:35 pm »
Try   http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

Specifically the 'Vintage Tape' forum (obviously) but most of them are worth a read.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:26:14 pm »
hi;

Firstly you see the mode switch pc board, you will need to clean clean and clean all the switches contacts with contact cleaner and eraser.

Then;

If you have an oscilloscope, you can probe Pin 15 just to make sure that signal is trying to go the right side head. The signal should be the same as Pin 16 to left side head.

Then you probe at J19 Pin 4 to make sure that signal arrives at the right side head safely.

Then;

99% sure it will record. In case not, the head is defective, change the head.

If you don't have a scope, you can use a audible signal tracer.

Hopes it help.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 01:54:28 am »
Try   http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

Specifically the 'Vintage Tape' forum (obviously) but most of them are worth a read.

thanks so much for responding. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:58:47 am »
hi;

Firstly you see the mode switch pc board, you will need to clean clean and clean all the switches contacts with contact cleaner and eraser.

Then;

If you have an oscilloscope, you can probe Pin 15 just to make sure that signal is trying to go the right side head. The signal should be the same as Pin 16 to left side head.

Then you probe at J19 Pin 4 to make sure that signal arrives at the right side head safely.

Then;

99% sure it will record. In case not, the head is defective, change the head.

If you don't have a scope, you can use a audible signal tracer.

Hopes it help.

thank you very very much. Yes, I have a scope.  Its a funny story, when Dave was doing his "old scope follow up video" , he showed my exact Textronix scope on ebay as he was scrolling.  I got  for $100.

Now I have to dig it out of the garage. My wife decided my work bench needed to be a "flower stand".  Luckily she killed all the plants and flowers so its time to reclaim it..  |O

thanks again.

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:58:30 am »
Or if you can quickly swap output cables to the two head channels and the dead channel is still dead then the head needs changing. Just a couple of minutes of soldering can give you a go-no go on what to replace or clean.
Retired - Formerly: Navy ET, University of Buffalo Electronic Tech, Field Engineer and former laptop repair business owner

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 12:09:42 pm »
Also TapeHeads forum is a good place on all tape related things.

Cheers

Alex
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:26:24 pm by Alex Nikitin »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:54:40 pm »
Or if you can quickly swap output cables to the two head channels and the dead channel is still dead then the head needs changing. Just a couple of minutes of soldering can give you a go-no go on what to replace or clean.

These things are the easiest to find parts for.  lots of stuff on ebay, but I haven't seen another source except craigslist, meaning you by two and one is for parts.  ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 02:04:52 pm »
Also TapeHeads forum is a good place on all tape related things.

Cheers

Alex

thanks for the link.  I'm checking them out now.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 05:12:46 am »
If you touch the pins on the record head in question with a screwdriver you will hear a hum, do that on the side in question. If that hum records, it's not the record head...down and dirty way to do it, learned that from an old tech with 50 years in the business.

Before you do too much, take off the face plate and look at the switch assembly. That is a cast piece of metal and that part breaks a LOT. If there are any hairline cracks start looking for the part because that will fail at some point. Pics attached of the most recent.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 01:38:01 pm »
If you touch the pins on the record head in question with a screwdriver you will hear a hum, do that on the side in question. If that hum records, it's not the record head...down and dirty way to do it, learned that from an old tech with 50 years in the business.

Before you do too much, take off the face plate and look at the switch assembly. That is a cast piece of metal and that part breaks a LOT. If there are any hairline cracks start looking for the part because that will fail at some point. Pics attached of the most recent.

thanks for responding.

when you say the pins, you mean on on the circuit board or on on the outside of the head itself?

thanks.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 08:11:05 pm »

thanks for responding.

when you say the pins, you mean on on the circuit board or on on the outside of the head itself?

thanks.

Where the four wires connect to the head, where they are soldered.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 08:15:14 pm »
Great!  thanks!

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 04:49:25 am »
Great!  thanks!

If you need a record head, I may have one. I had to part one of my personal units out because of a bad motor and it had some bad vacuum tubes...I'm not sure if the heads cross to yours but it's worth a look. I'd be super reasonable in price, I'm still backwards on the unit or I'd give it to you.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 07:19:30 am »
bmack, touching the record head pins does not have enough signal (hum) to write to mag tape. So I'm not following what you are doing, unless it's a playback problem.

98/100 times it's oxide on the record/play switch. These are multi-pole switches that redirect many signals including the record amplifier and bias oscillator. You can try move the switch internally a dozen times and see if it cleans it off, or use contact cleaner.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 11:49:47 am »
Great!  thanks!

If you need a record head, I may have one. I had to part one of my personal units out because of a bad motor and it had some bad vacuum tubes...I'm not sure if the heads cross to yours but it's worth a look. I'd be super reasonable in price, I'm still backwards on the unit or I'd give it to you.

thanks, I will let you know.  Honey-dos got in the way of a repair plan..  ;D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 11:51:05 am »
bmack, touching the record head pins does not have enough signal (hum) to write to mag tape. So I'm not following what you are doing, unless it's a playback problem.

98/100 times it's oxide on the record/play switch. These are multi-pole switches that redirect many signals including the record amplifier and bias oscillator. You can try move the switch internally a dozen times and see if it cleans it off, or use contact cleaner.

when trying to record, it does record, but only blank sound on the one track/channel. No noise. I don't know if thats a good thing or it means nothing.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 06:03:46 pm »

when trying to record, it does record, but only blank sound on the one track/channel. No noise. I don't know if thats a good thing or it means nothing.

That means the erase head is working.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 06:19:14 pm »

ok, that makes sense.  In my mind its an all in one thing, but I get it..  thanks!

That means the erase head is working.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 06:20:02 pm »

You know, you might be right, I'd have to recheck. It's been several years since I had one with a record problem, mostly it's general maintenance, motor problems(or speed control) or playback. I could have sworn that I did that and heard a difference but I could be wrong.

You could check with a scope or signal/audio tracer to see if the signal is getting to the record head. I actually like the signal tracer to do stuff like this because you can hear what is getting there and you don't need to connect the signal generator. The shop has an old Heathkit signal tracer but I made one for myself with a cheap bluetooth speaker.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 08:59:26 pm »
I'm just reluctant to say "the head is defective".

OP could measure head continuity after the REC/PLAY switch at the second pcb (have to demagnetize afterwards).
There's a connector at the head block, REC/PLAY switch and shielded cable wires that could have failed.
I've seen shielded cable wires break off right at the heads.
Sometimes aggressive tape head demagnetizers generate enough voltage to damage the semi's.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 01:56:09 am »
I'm just reluctant to say "the head is defective".

OP could measure head continuity after the REC/PLAY switch at the second pcb (have to demagnetize afterwards).
There's a connector at the head block, REC/PLAY switch and shielded cable wires that could have failed.
I've seen shielded cable wires break off right at the heads.
Sometimes aggressive tape head demagnetizers generate enough voltage to damage the semi's.

I agree, that's why I originally tried to get him to rule it out quickly.

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 01:28:52 am »
I earlier suggested wiring the dead side head to the working side's electronics. You can quickly determine if the electronics is dead or the head is dead this way. If the problem continues then the head is dead. If not then the electronics for the dead side is the problem. You don't even need to wire the other side up since you know that head and electronics was working together and so it has to be either the head or the electronics for the dead side that is OOC. Simple and quick way to eliminate one or the other so you can proceed with the necessary repairs. I guess you could maybe jump the two heads as a quick test if that won't overload the electronics and see if both channels have some (reduced level) recording too.
Retired - Formerly: Navy ET, University of Buffalo Electronic Tech, Field Engineer and former laptop repair business owner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 02:32:17 am »
I earlier suggested wiring the dead side head to the working side's electronics. You can quickly determine if the electronics is dead or the head is dead this way. If the problem continues then the head is dead. If not then the electronics for the dead side is the problem. You don't even need to wire the other side up since you know that head and electronics was working together and so it has to be either the head or the electronics for the dead side that is OOC. Simple and quick way to eliminate one or the other so you can proceed with the necessary repairs. I guess you could maybe jump the two heads as a quick test if that won't overload the electronics and see if both channels have some (reduced level) recording too.

thanks, some honey-dos got in the way,  hopefully this week...  ;)

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 03:02:05 pm »
Completely understand honey-do's, I've got a SWMBO too. Plus while I'm "retired", I also belong to a half dozen organizations that take up most of rest of my awake hours. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 03:49:34 pm »
 :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf