Author Topic: Any guesses as to the failure?  (Read 10604 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Any guesses as to the failure?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 05:16:17 pm »
It is green and it has a long persistence as well!

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 08:15:25 pm »
It is green and it has a long persistence as well!

Wow, awesome, that's cool! The longest persistence I've ever seen was that of the original IBM PC green monitors, those with the cast metal enclosures that weighted tons, more than a second perhaps two or almost, it was amazing.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 08:18:20 pm »
Compaq used a red-orange plasma display for the Portable III. Some laptops also had those.

Those were amazing too!
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 09:18:44 pm »
I used to have one of these, I kind of wish I'd kept it, I even had the matching padded carry bag for it.

They have a 9" green CRT monitor that uses CGA scan rates and appears as a CGA monitor to the system. It was quite nice as I recall, very crisp picture.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 02:27:38 pm »
I forsee a Schaffner input filter change will be a future thing, they will go bang after no power being applied to them for a few years.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 05:40:26 pm »
I forsee a Schaffner input filter change will be a future thing, they will go bang after no power being applied to them for a few years.

Wow, you guys are impressive.  Yes, this happened.  It began to make some fizzle noises for a day or so and I wondered if it was just a loose connection or something.  Last night = loud fizzle and quite a burnt smell!!!  It does seem to keep working though after that event, at least it is usable.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 08:55:44 pm »
If you have trouble finding a bootable disk I can make you one, I still have one XT in my vintage computer collection. Sounds like you might have one on the way already but thought I'd offer in case you don't.

My Compaq Portable had a 10MB hard drive in it and that worked fine, although the power supplies in those machines were known to be marginal. I think if I had one now I'd install an XT IDE interface and small SSD or a Microdrive in a CF to IDE adapter.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 09:00:20 pm »
Thanks James - I appreciate it.  A friend of mine actually had a 5.25" box of old disks and one of them was DOS 3.30!  Once I had that I was able to create new disks and used fastlynx to move files across to create the other disks I needed!  I ordered one of the XTIDE kits with a 128MB disk on module to plug onto it!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2017, 09:31:40 am »
On topic (I guess): I just watched "Silicon Cowboys" on Netflix, recommended if you are interested in the rise (and fall?) of Compaq.

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf