Author Topic: Anyone experience with Crown XTi amplifier repair ?  (Read 791 times)

Offline prutserTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Anyone experience with Crown XTi amplifier repair ?
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:15:29 am »
Somebody at Crown had a nice idea to save cost. They clamped 2 heatsinks on top of each other. To replace to power transistors the top
heatsink needs to be removed.   So far I managed to get 2 off, but needed to apply a lot of mechanical force, which I do not like ) and it took me about 10 minute
per heatsink.

Anyone experience with this amp and knows how to remove those heatsinks nicely ?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Anyone experience with Crown XTi amplifier repair ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:47:48 am »
Somebody at Crown had a nice idea to save cost. They clamped 2 heatsinks on top of each other. To replace to power transistors the top
heatsink needs to be removed.   So far I managed to get 2 off, but needed to apply a lot of mechanical force, which I do not like ) and it took me about 10 minute
per heatsink.

Anyone experience with this amp and knows how to remove those heatsinks nicely ?

Not removed them. Some ideas though.

Getting them apart in place I'd try using a wide L shaped wedge tool with short edge and use slight fulcrum motion moving between spots to part the heatsinks. Google "paint can opener". The other is if you found something suitable to wedge into the gaps, a C clamp could be used to pry them apart.

From the looks of them though, compression would be required to reassemble.  Then I would say remove the whole pcb, then removing the heatsink assembly from the PCB would be the best idea as it seems the safest for reassembly.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf