Author Topic: SOLVED manual/schematic with calibration instructions, Keithley 197 vA2?  (Read 44057 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
As the subject says. I just acquired a Keithley 197 with firmware version A2. The manual I found is for version C and there are some differences. So if anyone has a PDF or scans of the manual for this model I would be grateful.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:02:33 pm by Lightages »

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Take a look here: http://doc.xdevs.com/doc/Keithley/
If you have programmer, worth to save firmware so I could add it there too.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Thanks TiN, but it has the same documents I already have found. I guess I need to contact Keithley and see if they are friendly.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Actually, it looks like I might have found it. When I was searching specifically for the manuals and the search took me to the Keithley site I was faced with having to make an account with Keithley just to get the manual. So I didn't try any further on the Keithley site. I just went to the Keithley site from the front page and then went to support and looked for the 197. As it turns out they only require a login for the generic manual but a document which explains how to enter the calibration mode on different versions was open and freely available.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Care to share?
Having login to download documentation is pure evil. That's why I downloaded all and every document and rehosted on ftp.  :-/O
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Yes I will share all the information I get soon. The CAL setup procedure given on the Keithley site for my model does not work. I am waiting on a reply from on how to make it work.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
I received a reply from Keithley, and they have no more information than what is available o their website. Unfortunately I cannot get the 197 into calibration mode. There is a "switch" , as they describe it in the instructions, internal to the box. All I can see is a three pin header with a shorting jumper.  I moved the jumper over to the other pins, but the meter does not enter the calibration mode  :-[

I do have a universal programmer, so I will read the chips inside and provide the files along with the manual.

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
I thought some 197's had an GPIB port as an option, does yours? Most Keithley stuff can be calibrated by GPIB.
Trying is the first step towards failure

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Actually I just followed the instructions again, and I was able to enter calibration mode. Mine does not have the GPIB option. I will be dumping the ROM and the CAL memory if I can find it. I am seriously impressed with a very old multimeter that is still within its 1 year accuracy spec after who knows how long since it was last calibrated.

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
Reminds me to do so on my 199. It wasn't working when i got it do too calibration values that where lost.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
I second that, if you can grab the 197 firmware that would be nice. I'd like to take a look at it. 

I actually have the 197A, and I'd like to get the firmware off that.  It uses the 68HC711E9, which has 12K OTP ROM embedded on the chip, and it's hard to get at the firmware due to the protections. I can wire some pins low to enable a special bootstrap mode on the chip, this causes it to jump to a factory coded boot ROM, which will configure the serial port and start downloading serial data into the RAM, and then execute it. This sounds great for loading a small program into RAM that can dump the firmware, right? Except if Keithley programmed the security bit too, then the bootstrap code will first wipe the RAM and EEPROM data, then clear the security bit, and finally configure the serial port , download serial data into RAM and execute it.  I think I would still have the firmware, just the EEPROM data is wiped.

So I can get at the 197A firmware (I think) but I might potentially sacrifice the EEPROM cal data and brick the meter.  I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet :)

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Here are the documents and my firmware dump from my meter. Remember that mine is a 197 with firmware revision A2.

http://www.astc.cl/files/Keithley197.zip

Oh yes, I should say that the firmware was stored on a Mitsubishi M5L2764 EPROM
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 04:27:48 am by Lightages »

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
Would you mind putting it om TiN's FTP at http://doc.xdevs.com/contact/ too? He is building quite a nice collection of Keithley documents and firmwares  :-+

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
OK! The files are being uploaded right now.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Thanks for your contribution, added!  ;)

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Thanks for your contribution, added!  ;)

Hmmmm, I don't see my files. The /197 directory still has the same files as before. The file 197A_RevB_DocSpec.pdf is not for the 197 of course. The specifications for the 197 are in the manual. The .lib and .zip files do not exist neither.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Are you looking here?. /doc/Keithley/197 dir have fw folder with your files already. 197A moved to it's proper dir.
197-901-01A manual is same as was posted before, so that stays unchanged.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
No, I was looking at the url you provided earlier in the thread: http://doc.xdevs.com/doc/Keithley/

I also just re-uploaded the calibration setting text file with a bit of clarification for firmware version A models.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:13:46 pm by Lightages »

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
Thanks, Lightages for the 197 rom, I'm going to be dissecting it soon. 

@TiN:
I also used FTP and uploaded the 196 roms, since you didn't seem to have it in http://doc.xdevs.com/doc/Keithley/196
I put it in the FTP directory, under Keithley/196_Firmware
I'm not the person who extracted the rom files, the original person is in the readme

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:04:32 pm by codeboy2k »

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Site document page updated manually, while /doc/Keithley is just FTP dir, and uploaded separately. All of data is on FTP dir, it takes time to sort stuff and put on catalog document.  :-X

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf