Author Topic: APC UPS Components  (Read 1122 times)

Offline kudrow

APC UPS Components
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:28:38 pm »
Hi all,

Long time viewer, first time poster. I have a problem.

My APC SURTD3000RMXLI UPS decided to let the magic smoke out of some components which I have identified to be on the battery charger circuit. Apart from 2x twin axial ceramic resistors, a small capacitor and what looks to be a switch mode fly back transformer, there is nothing wrong with the UPS. It still powers on (however goes to straight bypass), it still has its smarts however it does not charge batteries.

The damaged components are C716, R703, R704 and T712.

C716 appears to be a Cornell mica capacitor however I cannot find any matching part online either on RS, element14 or Mouser. The markings on it are CDM 680 5% 1000V 1211. Closest I can find is http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier-CDE/CDV16FF681JO3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtLiKaZgV7flaaRNIxO5MlAKbAZjZL3F3U%3d.

R703 and R704 are what appear to be biaxial 10W ceramic resistors. Zero markings on them at all and when touched they fell apart. It is actually these which I believe failed which caused the transformer to crack on the side.

T712 appears to be a Falco 430-5009-Z-01 1218 I2 CL-F.

Many thanks!

Offline operacionesdriversmaturin

Re: APC UPS Components
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 07:40:58 am »
Hello, I have an UPS brand APC model SURTA3000XL. No power. R703, R704 and C716 are damaged. I can’t find the original fault. What I can do? Do you know the original value for R703 and R704?  Thank you

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 12:26:57 am »
APC lawyers covered this...

https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158607/

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 10:33:36 am »
That was amusing.  "We think you're all idiots and we'll make more money if you buy the com cable from  us anyway"

There are a few schematics floating around but it takes a little digging.  There are similarities between models and sometimes they even use the same circuit board, just adding additional components on larger models.

I fixed a little one a while ago - the battery charger IC had blown the top right off.  Fortunately it was intact so I could read the part number.  Replacing that and a couple of caps and it's been working great since.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 01:33:04 pm »
APC lawyers covered this...

https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158607/

pushes APC way down on my stack of companies whose products i will consider buying.
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf