Author Topic: bad caps on samsung lcd display  (Read 12825 times)

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: bad caps on samsung lcd display
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 05:10:41 pm »
What are the expected side effects of higher ESR, and of lower ripple current rating?

Higher ESR results in higher output ripple but counter intuitively it also usually increases the phase margin making the regulator more stable. 

Higher ESR also results in higher temperature operation because at a given ripple current, more power will be dissipated by the capacitor.  The higher temperature lowers the operating life.  This is reflected in the ripple current rating which will be lower and is the reason why low a ESR is associated with a high ripple current rating.

It is sometimes necessary to use multiple capacitors in parallel to achieve a high ripple current rating.  Multiple small capacitors are often better than fewer large ones because their greater surface area for a given volume allows greater heat dissipation capability.

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 01:21:36 am »
Thanks.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 07:28:05 am »
One of the best Samsung monitors from the early flat screen days is the SyncMaster 214T
They sold for almost $2000 in those days.
And the beauty is that you can get them for almost free, when they are broken.
And each and every time, the problem was in the ESR of the Caps

It is unreal to me, that a company like Samsung would deploy bad caps for such a long time
It seems we are talking now of a period from 8 to 10 years of bad caps in SyncMaster screens
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online linux-worksTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 06:38:26 pm »
the more I talk to folks who have dealt with samsung, the more I hear this thing coming up again and again.

samsung designs things so that they last JUST as long as the warranty and no more.  almost to a science.

I like samsung ssd's but I'm going to try to avoid that company for all other things if I can help it.  I see a trend, here, in the corporate culture.  I've heard and read too much about samsung for it to be a one-off problem.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 06:45:27 pm »
2 Samsung 24 inch monitors, bought new and with a 5 year warranty. Both failed about 2 weeks out of warranty. One was left running 24/7/365 and the other was switched off ( with a real power switch on the front of the unit, no soft switch here) at the end of each day. In both units the line output transistor was shorted, due to the line output transformer breaking down. The LOPT was no longer available as a spare part ( though I could actually get the 24 inch CRT complete with scan coils as a spare and they had stock of it) as it had been discontinued 4 years ago. Apparently they simply gave you a new monitor of the same or next bigger size if they failed under warranty and it was not a dead CRT. Burns were not covered, and these large CRT's were very easy to burn if you left the brightness high with a static image.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 02:26:25 am »
I just fixed an LG monitor that had 3 bad CapXon caps. $3 and up and running again! woohooo!  :)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 06:12:05 pm »
it seems this model (Samsung 225BW) is nothing BUT trouble;

Hmmm.... The one I am using typing this message is I think 7 years old, still working fine

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf