Author Topic: bose satellite speakers connecting with amplifire  (Read 1204 times)

Offline sairfan1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
bose satellite speakers connecting with amplifire
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:43:09 pm »
Hi,

I have 7.1 Harmon Kardon (3700) processor and 7 bose satellite speakers
my Bose AM16 has output for 6 satellite speakers but I want to add 7th speaker that is not supported by subwoofer outputs.
I know if i connect it directly with amp it will be blown out, I'm looking for assembly/circute that is used to drive these speakers but i don't know what is it called, may be i could find some as parts on ebay or amazone.

And also is there some alternate solution that i can build myself? thanks.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: bose satellite speakers connecting with amplifire
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:21:42 pm »
Your 7th speaker will have no effect since it will be in parallel with another ... you wont have an 7.1 system, nor the effects ... with the AM16

Bose AcoustiMass manuel : https://assets.bose.com/content/dam/Bose_DAM/Web/consumer_electronics/global/products/speakers/am16_series1/pdf/owg_en_am15_series2_am16_series1.pdf

Your 3700 has already the 7 outputs needed, BUT you need an active "amplified" subwoofer since it is an rca 1v level signal ... you can use your AM16 speaker to do so and connect the (7) seven small speakers to the 3700 outputs

3700 user Manual : http://media.datatail.com/docs/manual/137545_en.pdf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:41:47 am »
Your 7th speaker will have no effect since it will be in parallel with another ... you wont have an 7.1 system, nor the effects ... with the AM16

I know the issue, I'm looking for solution to this.
I have bose powered subwoofer who has 6 Satellite speakers input and out put, how can i set 7th speaker?
I'm thinking to buy kit for 7th speaker to work because i can't connect it directly to amplifier.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:26:58 am »
well you're repeating your first post, if you know the issues  why asking here ?  i do and connect sound systems .... i don't see any problems,  why can't you connect the 7th speaker to your 3700 ??? tell us why,  your post is not clear enough

The Bose system is not a true THX 7.1 system, if not satisfied,  go with an 5.1 system setup  ???  or change your Bose system, and accommodate the 3700 simply by adding an amplified sub woofer and connect the small speakers to the 3700.

The center voice can be any mid range speaker, its not an full range audio spectre.

Any line signal output, or speaker output has been signal processed to end with the Prologic or THX effects, adding an speaker here and there without the signal processing is worthless, that's all.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:24:55 pm »
Sorry for my bad English, may be I was not able to explain good.

well you're repeating your first post, if you know the issues  why asking here ?
Yes I understand the issue but i don't know the solution, so I'm looking for solution here.

i do and connect sound systems .... i don't see any problems,  why can't you connect the 7th speaker to your 3700,  tell us why

Let me explain, HK 3700 is a 7.1 processor, Bose AM16 is a 6.1 speaker system, now lets look at the connections.
Out of 7 out puts from sound processor I can connect only 6 to sub woofer, satellite speakers can be only connected to sub woofer, if i directly connect to sound processor they will get damaged.

That's why i can connect only 6 speakers to subwoofer/sound processor

So I'm looking for a way to connect 7th speaker, i believe options that i have are

1. Find same module as spare parts that is inside subwoofer box and that helps to connect satellite speaker, but I don't know what is that module called and how can i search for it on ebay

2. Develop my own module that will not let burn 7th speaker so that it can be connected.

Buying additional subwoofer to connect 7th speaker is way more expensive, i was looking for module as a spare part that is installed in Bose AM subwoofer.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 09:42:34 pm »
okay just to simple thing you don't have any powerful speakers to go with the 3700, you want to use the AM16 to do the job since the satellites speakers aren't powerful enough to take the 3700 speakers output.

Well you're doing complicated things for nothing and loosing time while learning ... As i said you wont have the 7.1 effects ...  goes in 5.1 setup,  earn some cash and sell your Bose AM16 and buy the speakers you need and an amplified subwoofer.

There is a good difference when you switch from 5.1 to 7.1 in certain movies, otherwise the 5.1 is still very good. I'm a movie geek, even my computer is home theater grade, with expensive 7.1 audio card.

I'm running an 7.1 home theater at home, had to calculate the room size and place the speakers accordingly and calibrate the sound processor ... but  you have to sit in an "central / center" position to have the maximum effect.

Even know a guy who has 16 home theater seats in his basement with an 110 inch wall screen  an 50k $ system lolll    and his kid play PlayStation / Xbox on it   outch.

I understand your motives, but i've gone thru this myself trying to save some cash, i never ended with good results until i bought the right stuff. And the technology is changing fast.

If you have an good audio/video electronic store nearby, maybe you could ask some questions how to get the most out of what you have at home ? Try sending an Email to Bose, you may get answers too.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 10:00:45 pm »
Thanks for the answer, what speaker system would you recommend to use with HK processor, i just want to get idea, so that i can start thinking that direction.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 01:11:44 am »
Any full range  85 watts rms at 8 ohms impedance speakers will do, not sure it can do 4 ohms, it may over heat the 3700.  Be sure to provide at least 2 inches of clearance over the 3700 top casing for heat dissipation or a well vented location

For the sub any model with an rca level input (adjustable with an volume control)   you have 2 rca plug outputs possible behind the 3700, you choose one or the other, read the manual for the infos

You can go up to 100w rms for the sub, if you have an adjustable cut-off frequency under 120 hertz it will be all fine, you put the sub in the room corner, the boom boom will be heard very well  loll

The center voice is normally at 1-2 kilohertz frequency, no need for an full range speaker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf