Author Topic: Calculator Screen Scratches: Polish  (Read 6340 times)

Offline BurnedResistorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Calculator Screen Scratches: Polish
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:28:00 pm »
Hey All,

For school I own a ti nspire cx, and for the longest time it has had four small (2-3mm long) scratches towards the bottom middle of the plastic screen.

I know I am being stupid, but they really annoy me as they break up light of the screen. Is there any hope in polishing them out? Or am I only more likely to ruin the screen?

If this is doable, what should I look for? Some kind of plastic polish? Most products I can find are car-headlight polish. Would that work?

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Calculator Screen Scratches: Polish
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 04:54:38 pm »
Toothpaste is slightly abrasive. Take a soft piece of cloth, or even a paper napkin, put some toothpaste on it, and go Polish!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:57:06 pm by RoGeorge »

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 05:22:54 pm »
I have used plastic polish designed for helmet visors on plastic display lenses (Plasticx or something similar). You should probably start by sanding (I used wet sanding), start with 400 grit and end somewhere beyond 1000 grit. Then polish the small scratches left with the fine sand paper with plastic polish. My experience with toothpaste is that it works much slower than 'real' plastic polish.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 05:23:53 pm »
Yes, the finest abrasive poilsh I know of is toothpaste. Make sure it's one that doesn't taste gritty. It might not be abrasive enough to remove significant scratches but on the other hand it's unlikely to do any harm.

Make sure you mask off the display area carefully and be careful of any screen printing.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 05:54:39 pm »

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 06:00:32 pm »
Check some useful info about plastic scratch repair for DMMs and calculators http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/dirty-multimeter-clean-up/

Offline BurnedResistorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 06:27:54 pm »
Toothpaste is slightly abrasive. Take a soft piece of cloth, or even a paper napkin, put some toothpaste on it, and go Polish!

Yes, the finest abrasive poilsh I know of is toothpaste. Make sure it's one that doesn't taste gritty. It might not be abrasive enough to remove significant scratches but on the other hand it's unlikely to do any harm.

Make sure you mask off the display area carefully and be careful of any screen printing.

I have tried the toothpaste with a cootton pad. Did not do much so I came  to ask here. I am slightly hesitant about taking it to the sand paper, but if I just walk up the grits to finer and finer I should be fine?

What kind of plastic polish have you guys used?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf