Author Topic: Circa 1990 Patton U2-20 Fan Motor thermal fuse issue?  (Read 6989 times)

Offline todbnlaTopic starter

• Contributor
Circa 1990 Patton U2-20 Fan Motor thermal fuse issue?
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:19:15 am »
Hello EEVblogers, Need some Help, I bought this fan way way back in the late 90's and it was a trusty die hard companion until recently. Fast forward to last summer, the fan has rusted a good bit and look ugly so I decided to take it apart and was going to have the fan's chrome cage powder coated black, which was a simple tear down, and take the parts off to the powder co vendor. Fast forward, get the coated parts back and reassemble the fan, low and behold I lost all of the tear down pics I took for wiring reference and since their were just a few combos I winged it, well that was a bad decision  |O, it was wired wrong and came on for a micro second and died after that. So, I have narrowed it down to two things; a bad capacitor which I ordered a replacement of the same value and tested to no luck or an internal thermal fuse on the windings of the motor? Submitted for your review, see the attached pic(s), trying to confirm this is in fact the thermal fuse AND, how do I get a replacement since I cannot make out any numbers?

Any help appreciated  :-+

• Contributor
Re: Circa 1990 Patton U2-20 Fan Motor thermal fuse issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:20:41 am »
Another pic

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:22:48 am »
Last pic, is there a way to post multi pics in the same post  :-//

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 01:51:50 am »
Hi todbnla, welcome to the forum. When you have the prompt to load an attachement, there is a link under it to load multiple files in one comment.

I don't recognize the item you are showing, but you could patch another one in if you know the temperature factor.
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: todbnla

Offline orbanp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:18:24 pm »
You can check the thermal fuse with an Ohm-meter (DMM) if it is open.
The fan I have (a cheap oscillating fan) had a thermal fuse with about 110C or 130C opening temperature.
You can find replacement e.g. at DigiKey: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cantherm/MTS1-S125/MTS1S125-ND/1840440
1A to 5A rating is fine, as long as it fits physically.
The thermal fuse opened in my case as the bearing was seized. It is a sintered bronze bearing. Cleaning/lubricating the bearing only worked for about two weeks, then I had to clean/relube again.
I ended up buying a new fan, they are really cheap.

Good luck, Peter

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:10:05 pm »
Those baarrel type fuses are easy to find.  The trouble is insulating them.  Fiberglass sheaving  works, but you need an additional heat shrink to be safe.  Make it a few degrees lower temp to account for the thermal resistance.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:53:48 pm »
Yes that's a thermal fuse, you likely burned it out but that should be easy to determine. When you replace it, be sure you crimp the connections, if you try to solder it you will melt the new fuse.

I have a Patton fan of about that era, I can take a look at the wire colors if you need once you get the fuse replaced.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 12:37:50 am »
Yes that's a thermal fuse, you likely burned it out but that should be easy to determine. When you replace it, be sure you crimp the connections, if you try to solder it you will melt the new fuse.

I have a Patton fan of about that era, I can take a look at the wire colors if you need once you get the fuse replaced.
Appreciate the offer but I was so impressed how this one lasted and performed that I picked up 2 more since then and I understand these fans are coveted and even collected by "fan collectors", who knew....the last one I picked up is like new, I paid about what I paid back in the 90's and it has the exact wiring for me to view. The one prior to that was found in an attic in the ORIGINAL box which I have with the original paperwork, wow.  :clap: The china versions of these don't blow worth a crap, no pun intended.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 12:41:57 am »
I always thought they were cool. I picked mine up at a thrift store a few years ago, I think it was 15 bucks. Motor was seized but some oil took care of that and I've been using it in my garage. Didn't realize they were particularly sought after but it's a nice fan and works well. Really helps when I need to work on the car on a hot day.

I suppose collecting fans is no weirder than collecting any number of other things people collect. At least it's something useful.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 12:55:53 am »
I always thought they were cool. I picked mine up at a thrift store a few years ago, I think it was 15 bucks. Motor was seized but some oil took care of that and I've been using it in my garage. Didn't realize they were particularly sought after but it's a nice fan and works well. Really helps when I need to work on the car on a hot day.

I suppose collecting fans is no weirder than collecting any number of other things people collect. At least it's something useful.
Roger that, speaking of oil, assume these 2 lil triangular holes pointing down on both covers are to oil the motor?  :-//

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 06:03:00 am »
After further review and inspection under a magnifying glass it appears to be a Klixon 7am033 series, found 1 place is the states that sells them individually @ $19.95  :-\ each...on order.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 07:29:59 am »
Yes the little holes are for oiling the felting rings, that in turn provide oil to the oilite bushes. Check when the fan is apart the felt is still fine, and then oil it with some motor oil, preferably some 0W40 synthetic oil, which will last practically forever there. A drop on the bushes themselves when apart, and a wipe inside the bush with a small oil soaked rag to clean the debris it has collected off and it will be fine. You basically put a drop of oil in there a year.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 06:45:16 pm »
After further review and inspection under a magnifying glass it appears to be a Klixon 7am033 series, found 1 place is the states that sells them individually @ $19.95  :-\ each...on order.

Sounds like it's an auto-resetting thermal circuit breaker, but you likely vaporized the contacts by wiring wrong. You might find a comparable part from somewhere like Digikey if you look up the specs for it. In a pinch you could use a single use thermal fuse, it shouldn't ever blow anyway.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 07:01:28 pm »
Arrowhead electronics has the same brand in stock, although not cheap I have one on order, I also managed to blow out some of the felt wicking and ordered 1ft of that off ebay to fix my mess up  :palm:

Thanks for your  :-+

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 08:36:01 pm »
Just a quick look on ebay turns up quite a few temperature switches.  Here is ten shipped for $9 from US seller.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Klixon-Temperature-Switches-Heat-Sensor-Thermostat-N7AM429A5-Motor-Protector-/291239893425?hash=item43cf4019b1:g:P8YAAOSwq7JUD~BD

Don't think this is something you have to overthink.  Fan motor should stay relatively cool for a motor compared to other applications.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:38:11 pm by Seekonk »

• Contributor
Re: Circa 1990 Patton U2-20 Fan Motor thermal fuse issue? (REPAIRED!)
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 06:36:46 am »
After several months, my fan is now working, just in time too, getting hot in the US Gulf Coast thanks to all for the help and suggestions from this EEVblog forum :-+

https://youtu.be/Zd4e29ERWKc
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:42:11 am by todbnla »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf