Author Topic: Coffee machine power supply transformer - how to find a direct substitute?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Lorenzo_1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
A friend's coffee machine stopped working (something of a disaster for him as he does like his coffee!). Fairly quickly located the problem - an open winding on the primary of the power supply transformer (photo attached).  It's a simple 230V 50Hz to 12V 1.9VA transformer marked V30AJ-123P7.  Doesn't seem special apart from being inherently short circuit proof.  The whole board has several optical isolators built into it to isolate the control board from the 240V powering the heater element.

Managed to find a datasheet (extract attached - the item's about halfway down the first table) and circuit diagram. Hoped to find an identical replacement unit but no joy locating an exact match for sale online.  It looks like it could be substituted quite easily but better to source one with the same form factor/pins etc.   Not sure if this is a pretty standard form or hard to get. Wondering if anyone here can point me to a likely source or recommend any pitfalls to look out for in trying to find a substitute.  On the one hand, it's perhaps not worth the effort to track one down - but there is something rewarding about bringing appliances back to life rather than just turfing them and buying new. Perhaps easier to just buy a new power supply but wasteful if this one is repairable easily.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
Its not clear what the pin spacing is.

Maybe this:
uk.farnell.com/1689055

Offline Lorenzo_1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
That's perfect - thanks for the quick steer.   :-+ Pin spacings are good.  Will order it today and hopefully get the caffeine flowing again.  My previous searches for replacement SMPS transformers took me into a lot of complex details and design issues, so I had expected this to be much the same.  Nice to find it readily available and cheap to boot.  Thanks again.

Interesting to compare this machine with my own Rancilio coffee maker that just runs on 240V and relies on bulky manual switches but is dead simple to fix - no neat little button switches relying on 12V power and no 'fancy' IC control modules.  Replacement power supply for this costs about half the price of a new machine - so with service agent fees it would likely make be just a throw-away item if you couldn't DIY it.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf