Author Topic: Mastercraft DMM #052-0055-6 bad lead plug-in switches (Pictures)  (Read 1781 times)

Offline cdnmattTopic starter

Mastercraft DMM #052-0055-6 bad lead plug-in switches (Pictures)
« on: November 10, 2018, 01:49:11 am »
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?q=052-0055-6
Mine looks different, they change them ever couple years for giggles. Mine has 3 buttons under the screen, on/off, light and data hold. I've added pictures for your convenience.

This meter was not making sound for diode check, but it did if I pressed down on it, I thought it was a fuse at first, but it was just a spring lever button for the lead plug-in. The ground just does not have a lever, its the second from bottom. The others are momentary switches - The probe lead stays down with the banana connector. The switches are very small, but the detent is good. As you see two levers broke off.

How can I remedy this situation, which way is best?

I was thinking to unsolder the momentary switch and use a latching push button switch SPST type of appropriate size. Then drill a hole in the plastic.

Or bring some colored wires out from the pcb, from the corresponding cover holes.

Superglue on some levers might be a good start I think. They do need to be a bit flexy, so maybe scratch that idea.

You see the bronze pads in an "I" shape near the diodes, spring and 2 reds, those are the backside, so they must be electrically touching then the switch does something as well, perhaps. Very interesting!

Today, I did purchase an auto ranging dmm Mastercraft #052-0052-2 on sale for C$28. There was an OWON B35 on Amazon, but thats $50usd which is C$68. Of course the dot CA site lists it for C$90 shipped. Fleabay is a bit cheaper.

I will see if they have the exact same one that I have in the store. Lifetime Warranty if I am not mistaken.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:19:49 am by cdnmatt »

Offline cdnmattTopic starter

Re: Mastercraft DMM #052-0055-6 bad lead plug-in switches (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 04:42:18 am »
These are the best pictures I could get.
I jumpered both ends and even pressed the button but nothing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf