Author Topic: Dead Advantest R3131? Not yet!  (Read 2736 times)

Offline nctnicoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Dead Advantest R3131? Not yet!
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:04:25 pm »
A quick note: My Advantest R3131 spectrum analyser threw me a nasty surprise today. Yesterday it already started with an RTC error but no problems. Today it wouldn't start at all. It just showed a half screen with some garbled text.  :wtf: Not a good sign!
So I opened it up and checked the RTC battery. Completely flat! Fortunately I had a litium battery lying around so I put that in but no go. Still garbled text and no response to any keys. Switched it off a couple of times, left it on for a while but still no go  :wtf: :rant: Just as I need it it bails out on me! I pulled out the CPU board again but it has no EPROMs/FLASH to reseat or anything in sockets. Then I noticed a small push button in the bottom left corner (seen from the rear of the unit). I switched it on again, pressed the button and.... it works again!  ^-^ Appearantly that button is some kind of reset-everything button to re-initialise the RTC data. I ran the self calibration and everything passed just fine.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:05:59 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Dead Advantest R3131? Not yet!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 08:18:16 pm »
 :-DD
Nice catch.
Was this reset mentioned in the manual?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 08:24:16 pm »
Nope. I checked the user and maintenance manual but couldn't find. I don't rule out I overlooked it though.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 08:28:24 pm »
Good catch.  ;D

Today it wouldn't start at all. It just showed a half screen with some garbled text.  :wtf: Not a good sign!

Just a question, how would a flat RTC battery cause the screen to go garbled?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:56:34 pm by crispy_tofu »

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 08:35:15 pm »
Probably some software bug which doesn't recognise the data stored in the battery backuped RAM. So the software crashes with all kinds of erratic behaviour. Pretty bad engineering! Perhaps they didn't bother because they have the 'recovery switch'.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf