Author Topic: Yaesu FT-221R with no audio  (Read 3155 times)

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
Yaesu FT-221R with no audio
« on: September 08, 2016, 04:59:23 am »
It'll take me some time to actually get to fixing this, but I'll start this thread so I've got somewhere to make notes as I go. Annoyingly I don't have any of my T&M gear with me where I'm living at the moment.

The seller claimed he'd tested it and it transmits fine. There is no receive audio. That is all I know. The seller did say they hadn't had a go at fixing it. I had a very brief look inside, and at first glance I am the first person in there, so that's something.

I found a service manual without too much drama, but it's 13MB, so can't post it here. Don't have the link on hand right now.

An that absence of better advice I think I'll turn my hand to making or acquiring an extender board to aid with diagnostics. Before I go searching and measuring, does anyone happen to have any docco on the connector specs for boards in this thing?

It's also missing the clips that hold the lid on. Does anyone know what they looked like?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:07:08 pm by apelly »

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Deaf Yaesu FT-221R
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:04:16 pm »
I would check the obvious 1st

Test with head phones / check socket
Resistance across the Speaker coil
Squelch full on ?

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:26:39 pm »
Calling it deaf and then saying there is no audio makes it hard to guess what you are talking about. Deaf usually means that the sensitivity sucks and you have to apply a large signal to hear anything but noise, but no audio implies that you don't even have noise. Please be a little more specific.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline klunkerbus

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer (retired early)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 07:57:28 pm »
A major indicator for me would be whether or not the s-meter kicks up at all as you tune around with some form of antenna connected. Seeing an active s-meter would suggest most of the receiver is likely fine.  No s-meter movement opens up front end possibilities. 

I had a weak-output receiver once that I sold rather than troubleshoot.  The buyer told me all it took to fix it was to clean the volume pot.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with that radio, but also make sure it isn't something simple like the signal not being routed/connected to the speaker.  Some radios support speakers in an OEM power supply and take some jumpering to get the signal going elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:05:35 pm by klunkerbus »

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 09:29:43 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys.

Calling it deaf and then saying there is no audio makes it hard to guess what you are talking about. Deaf usually means that the sensitivity sucks and you have to apply a large signal to hear anything but noise, but no audio implies that you don't even have noise. Please be a little more specific.

I know. I'm only working on what I've been told at this stage. I haven't turned the radio on yet so I don't have any more information.

I changed the thread subject anyway. Sorry for the antagonisation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf