Author Topic: Dell monitor repair, Genesis FLI5961-LF datasheet?  (Read 4638 times)

Offline siggiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Dell monitor repair, Genesis FLI5961-LF datasheet?
« on: May 24, 2016, 01:21:18 am »
Hey y'all,

for a giggle, I undertook to see whether I can fix an old Dell monitor that died on a co-worker. I chased the first problem to the standby power supply, which was dead with multiple component failures - none of which were caps...
I now have picture on the panel, but it's non-responsive to the power button (can't turn it off) as well as the other keys on the keypad. I've traced the button sensing to what I assume are ADC inputs on the display controller. These have a 10K pullup, which is pulled down by different resistances with different buttons (as an aside it seems like a strange arrangement to encode multiple buttons on a single line by having them shunt in different resistances?). One of those does not behave like the others - it seems the line is pulled hard to ground, so I'm wondering if I may have zapped the controller along the way...

A little Googling has not turned up the datasheet for the controller; Genesis FLI5961-LF. Do y'all know where I might look for the datasheet, and/or replacement chips?

PS: Yes, I realize this 2007-vintage POS is well BER, this is all for giggles.

Siggi
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:14:40 pm by siggi »

Offline soul40k

• Regular Contributor
Re: Dell monitor repair, Genesis FLI5961-LF datasheet?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:11:27 pm »
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/downloads/FLI5962H%202407.pdf

Thanks!
This helps, but it's not quite a datasheet - more like a sales brochure, or a feature sheet.
Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 08:01:28 pm »
even if you had one (and you wont) it would be useless to you, fault is most likely in the power circuit on the board
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:43:57 pm »
even if you had one (and you wont) it would be useless to you
That's a mighty strong word you used there "useless".
This is a strictly for giggles project, I don't very much care whether or not I fix the damn thing. I do care about learning as much as I can in the process, whether it's troubleshooting/reverse engineering techniques, or e.g. sneaky ways to find the skinny on a piece of hardware.

fault is most likely in the power circuit on the board
Care to elaborate?
I've found the 2.5V and the 1.8V regulators for the Genesis chip, those supplies look fine to my eye. I see them going at the chip, I see the decoupling at a multitude of power supply pins. All checks out so far.

I've found full datasheets for similar Genesis chips and I suspect they're mostly identical for my purposes (those things are INTEGRATED). I haven't found a data sheet with another chip with the same pin count. That'd probably get me the pinout for the one I'm interested in.

I've also - hopefully - acquired a couple of replacement chips, we'll see whether they eventually materialize on the slow boat from Hong Kong. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 12:01:45 am »
So here's what I've found so far.
If you Google for "gm5862H/gm5822H PRELIMINARY Datasheet", you'll find a datasheet for what looks like a close relative. The site looks a little ... sketchy ... so I'm not going to link it here.
Likewise, if you Google "SERVICE-MANUAL-COLOR-MONITOR-NEC-MultiSync-20WGX2-MODEL-ID-20WGX2-BK-B" you'll find a service manual for a NEC monitor that uses the FLI5961, which yields at least the pinout for the 208 PQFP package.

Looks like ST Micro acquired Genesis in 2007 <http://investors.st.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=111941&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1086000>.

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 12:41:35 am »
Something about the sound of hoofs and thinking horses not zebras....
The caps should be replaced just because you have the whole thing apart.
After the cap replacement don't be too surprized if the "damn thing works".
And if turns out to be the ADC chip (after replacing the caps) you get to say "I told you so"  :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 07:40:29 pm »
Something about the sound of hoofs and thinking horses not zebras....
The caps should be replaced just because you have the whole thing apart.
After the cap replacement don't be too surprized if the "damn thing works".
Damn horses  :).

I did change some of the caps on the main board, it looked like some had leaked. All 47uF and 100uF changed so far, will try the 10uFs as well.
On the auxiliary (PSU) board, I measured the caps (all 220uF/25V) at nominal capacitance and <50mOhm ESR at 100kHz.

And if turns out to be the ADC chip (after replacing the caps) you get to say "I told you so"  :)
We'll see - like I said, I've traced the buttons into what appears to be a ground-shorted pin that should be an ADC input.
It could be that decoupling is preventing the onboard MCU from setting up that pin right, but as everything else works just dandy, I doubt it.
As-is, I get picture, and I get the OSD displayed when I turn the damn thing on, I just can't interact with any of it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 06:38:17 pm »
We'll see - like I said, I've traced the buttons into what appears to be a ground-shorted pin that should be an ADC input.
It could be that decoupling is preventing the onboard MCU from setting up that pin right, but as everything else works just dandy, I doubt it.
As-is, I get picture, and I get the OSD displayed when I turn the damn thing on, I just can't interact with any of it.
To revisit this, I finally worked up the courage to replace that 208 pin flatpack. I only lifted a couple of pads pulling the old one with my complement of 10 thumbs, and it took me - like - umpteen inspection/fix cycles to clear all the solder bridges while fitting the new one..
After all of that, I'm pleased to report that she lives again, so the main controller was bad in the end.

Now I just have to try and figure out where all the screws and bits of plastic and shielding are supposed to go, and she'll be good as new.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf