Author Topic: Dell PowerEdge 2950 PwrGd problems  (Read 3210 times)

Offline madcorpTopic starter

Dell PowerEdge 2950 PwrGd problems
« on: January 28, 2018, 10:33:23 pm »
So, recently the server refuse to start and reported this error code: "E1215 1.8V PwrGd", which basically means that there is a problem with the voltage regulator for 1.8V. On that server, this voltage is created (controlled) by the motherboard (since the PSU only delivers +12V and +3.3V).
Till now I have tried to start it with the bare minimum number of components and the result was the same.. even I tried without RAM - no change, same error.

The question is - does anyone know where and what to check on the motherboard?
Also, I'm thinking for the worst scenario (fried chipset or something similar) - what are the chances of that?

Offline AndyMacSteve

Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 PwrGd problems
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 03:15:20 am »
I think the chance of the chipset being fried is low. Before trying anything else, try checking the riser card if yours has one. If it doesn't work, you may have to remove the Motherboard and check any voltage regulators, capacitors, resistors or a combination of them since it's essentially impossible to check voltages while powered on

If you still can't find and/or repair the problem on the motherboard, then it could be something in the power supplies. I honestly am not sure where it could be. There's a small chance it Could be the chipset or the motherboard

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:35:47 am »
It is not entirely uncommon for buck down converter circuit to fail on Dell servers :horse:,  but if you're lucky it's just a filter capacitors ESR that has become too high. This can cause the regulator to fail (or supply the wrong voltage). Can you find a spot on the motherboard that should have 1.8V? If you find a spot, what do you measure (AC and DC) / or observe on the oscilloscope? Can you see any bulging capacitors? Or supply some high res pictures of the motherboard?

Johan-Fredrik
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

Offline madcorpTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:14:51 pm »
So far only one capacitor was looking "bad" and was replaced (next to the CPU2) but that didn't change anything. Also, both PSUs are OK too. Riser card and everything that can be removed was removed and the error persist.

Investigations will continue after day or two... meanwhile here are some photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ldtmQZmpnVvu9Pni2

P.S.: is there anywhere in the Internet a datasheet/scheme of that motherboard?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:17:24 pm by madcorp »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:06:17 am »
searching for the specified error tend to show  the motherboard maybe at problem or the pci-x risers cards ??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf