Author Topic: Delta Elektronika SM400-AR-4 Repair Help (Manual Needed)  (Read 3803 times)

Offline oliveirinhaTopic starter

Delta Elektronika SM400-AR-4 Repair Help (Manual Needed)
« on: January 30, 2018, 09:52:42 pm »
Hi,

I have a faulty Delta Elektronika SM400-AR-4 power supply. It has burst and has a burnt printed circuit board as well as some electronic components. Does anyone know where I can get the source manual with the BOM .

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
Re: Delta Elektronika SM400-AR-4 Repair Help (Manual Needed)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 10:18:58 pm »
I suspect your best bet is to contact Delta directly for the manual (which hopefully contains the circuits as well).

I do have one of their modular style switch mode supplies (S 28-10) and its a quality made unit and the accompanying manual does have the schematic.
So good chance you will get the information from them. Well worth the effort to repair IF the burn damage is not too bad.
Perhaps posting some internal pictures of the unit and the damaged area could be useful for feedback on what has cooked and if its viable for repair.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 11:25:34 pm »
Thanks for the answer.

Attached some photos.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 01:49:46 am »
Quite the BBQ  :(. What component used to be where the now charred PCB is ?. hmm.
Also the melf resistors in the middle of the last pic have bits blown of the side (surge damage) and most likely open cct.
The 8 pin IC nearby looks cooked too. Do any of the ICs have readable part numbers, can't tell from the photos.

Sadly though this unit (or the damaged PCB at the least) looks to be beyond economical repair without any cct. details to start with.

If you still want to proceed, the whole charred area has to be removed to get rid of conducting paths especially if high voltages are in that area.
Then finding out what part was burnt to a crisp and other parts damaged identified and are actually available. etc etc.
Of course the manual is a must. (hopefully someone reading this may have one !).

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 02:29:27 am »
What is that blob below the 'PFC' lettering? Is that solder? Does it belong there? Also some of the cercaps look like there had been a bothed repair attempt as the soldering is strangely drawn out (to the next via?)! Kepp that in mind when assessing if it can be done!

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 07:22:15 am »
I'd send those exact same pictures to Delta Elektronika and see what they respond with.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 07:40:15 am »
On the other side of the printed circuit there are diodes and mosfets connected to a sink. One of the mosfet is in short. In the burned area two capacitors disappeared. The resistors must be burnt. In image SM400_ 7 you can see 4 indutances on the left side of the burned part are also open. I've already started removing the Mosfet. The two eight-pin IC's are 4532A and TC4426AC.

Thank you all for your help.

Offline Deltasupport

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:36:16 am »
Hi All,

I did not yet receive the email with the pictures. Maybe the size is too big for our mailbox. Try a smaller size, or use our unofficial email address deltapower@zeelandnet.nl.

Looking at the pictures, the problem started with the ceramic caps. The rest is collateral damage. Please constact me and I will help you further with this.

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, abraxa

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 09:56:21 am »
Congratulations to Delta Elektronika !  :-+

Not only they make very nice power supplies, but their support is awesome.  Two years ago,  I had to fix
a  Delta Elektronika ES 030-10  SMPS.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/delta-elektronika-es-030-10-cc-problem/msg934024/#msg934024

I  solicited the support, and they send me immediately the manual, the schematics, and the BOM, which was very helpful.

On the opposite, I asked recently for a shematics to Mean Well, for an  old SMPS. They called me the next day, but  just to tell me that they cannot send me the schematics.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/cap-value-in-s-40-12-mean-well-smps/msg1406090/#msg1406090

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 12:11:40 pm »
Excellent service indeed  :-+, with their help the supply may well be repairable.
Would be a nice followup with pictures of the working unit if/when it lives again.

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 05:49:00 pm »
More info on:
http://www.schulz-electronic.de/out/media/SM800_B_E.pdf
However, no detailed schematics. Sort of operating manual.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline Deltasupport

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:45:28 pm »
FransW, do not mix up the two Delta's. Your programming manual is from Delta Electronics Taiwan, while we are Delta Elektronika, Zierikzee, Netherlands.
There is no connection between the two.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 10:28:36 am »

Hi,

The power supply now is working perfectly.
Finally I got a little time to tell you what happend with my Delta power supply.

I asked help to Deltasupport member and he sent to me the module (the module burned), i replaced the module and the power supply started working perfectly.
He sent to me one board, P638 (digital control board) that he got from an old unit.

All credits are from Deltasupport.

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf