Author Topic: DP832 lose screws  (Read 4427 times)

Offline fishTopic starter

DP832 lose screws
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:49:18 pm »
Hi all, first post so be gently, please.

First off I love the Vblogs, thanks Dave keep it up!

I have had various poor bench supply's for years but I finally had a few projects that justified a slightly better on so I was looking around I thought the DP832 class was way out of the league of what I wanted but I couldn't fine many that offered any where need as good value for money as this one so, as Dave thought so highly of it he has one and use's it in videos some times, I thought I would get it and I haven't regretted it. There where plenty at a third the price but they had a fraction on the functionality if you can afford, which is not a given, then I would recommend it.

However, on receiving the unit, I almost immediately noticed a little rattle but then it when away, it so heavy you don't move it much so I forgot about it.

I moved it  from lab to lab in a car the other day (120 miles) and the rattle was back so I had a good luck through the vents and notice a screw in there rattling around!

I assumed I had some how let it in so I was a bit nervous about contacting the company I got it off as I am sure the postage is a bomb!

I didn't have the right torque so I had to get one in, so this afternoon after work it arrived, I cracked the beauty open and had a look, I assumed it would be a open let it out and shut it up jobby

Any way as you can see from the pics, the screw was so big there was no way it had got in from out side and there was a missing screw on the toroid transformer.

So I am really pleased that I managed to fix a modern piece of equipment, so much is not meant to be service there days...

But! This is a great product at a good price, but I would think even a great value unit at this price should have enough QC not to have a screw so lose that it cant work lose on the way to the customers house! I tightened all 4 screws (they were all a little lose) but didn't venture any further in to the unit than that. I didn't want to fix one thing and brake another.

I have done some very quick tests and every thing SEEMS fine, certainly no rattle any more !!!

Any way if any one else get a similar issue then I thought I was worth a post. If only to let you know its super easy to fix.

I presume that if the screw had worked its way up near some of the contacts then when the thing powered on it could have coursed some damage to the unit but you would think a fuse would stop anything else getting damaged too?

Will

PS. I think I have attached some pics of DP832 and the said screw, but not sure if they will show up...

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DP832 lose screws
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:03:21 pm »
Wow! That is really poor QC.

Thanks for the post. Perhaps it might be best to put some loctite on the screws to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Offline envisionelec

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 10:28:36 pm »
Wow! That is really poor QC.

Thanks for the post. Perhaps it might be best to put some loctite on the screws to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Likely shipping damage. Let's hope.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 02:10:24 am »
Shipping would have made an already loose screw become free though right. If it were properly screwed in (and secured aka loctite etc) I don't think there would be enough vibration in shipping to completely make a screw loosen to the point it falls out.

Where did you purchase the unit from by the way? i.e., Was it an online purchase from an overseas company or bought from the local distributor in your area?

Offline Jidouka

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 02:19:04 am »
I had the same problem too.  Three screws were rattling in the case, and the transformer rocked enough to bend a header.  I bent the header back and reinstalled the screws; works just fine but kind of a disappointment.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 02:27:35 am »
Wow, so it's not just an isolated case.

I wonder if Rigol is aware of this?

Offline Jidouka

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:37:16 am »
It almost has to be during factory install since the PSU shipping box/padding seems robust enough.  I can't believe shipping from China incurs enough vibration as to loosen multiple screws :-//

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 02:50:29 am »
It almost has to be during factory install since the PSU shipping box/padding seems robust enough.  I can't believe shipping from China incurs enough vibration as to loosen multiple screws :-//

Quite easily if they don't get torqued.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 03:02:30 am »
I had the same loose screw problem on a DP831A.
I refused to open it as *someone* had opened it before me - the security seal was broken.
I insisted that the supplier replace it with a NEW one as that was what I had paid for.
After a bit of wrangling the supplier complied.

The supply itself is pretty good though. I am happy with it.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 05:34:00 am »
Good to see that nothing was permanently damaged - hopefully Rigol is going to stop this happening again.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf