Author Topic: DSO150 Rotary Encoder.  (Read 1961 times)

Offline SirAlucardTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DSO150 Rotary Encoder.
« on: April 22, 2018, 05:11:19 pm »
Hey all, does anyone happen to know the identity of the Rotary Encoder used for the DSO150 Shell? I've been searching around and even on the JYE Tech Website but can't seem to find the actual part number for it. Other than buying a new encoder and mount from them, I'm trying to find a decent quality one and can't seem to find a proper replacement.

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
Re: DSO150 Rotary Encoder.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 06:55:32 pm »
I believe it's similar to the Alps EC11 and the Bourns  PEC11L series, both I believe available from Mouser.  It's 15 pulses per revolution, and 30 detents per revolution.  But I never found one that didn't have a shaft that was way too long.  I'm sure the JYE encoder is a no-name item.  There isn't a mark on it.

But before you spend money on a replacement, you may want to try taking yours apart and cleaning it.  That's what I did, and it works fine now.  No guarantees of course, but you can bend up the four little tabs holding the metal plate to the green plastic, and it comes apart.  In addition to cleaning it, I bent the contact arms up just a little so they would press against the disk a bit more forcefully.

Mine behaved very erratically, but now works fine.  I never did see what was causing the problem, but the process worked.  You have little to lose trying this.  You can always order a new one from JYE, or order the PEC11L from Mouser and cut off the shaft.  But I suspect you can make the existing one work fine.  The hardest part is desoldering it from the Shell, but you'll have to do that at some point anyway.

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:59:44 pm »
However, this one looks like a match:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401475259389

But I don't see a US source for it.

The following users thanked this post: SirAlucard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 10:01:50 pm »
I did take mine apart, and one of the pins are misaligned. I was able to get it from just not working, to only slightly working. I really don't have enough knowledge on it to be able to realign it properly. It ended up melting out of place when I went to desolder it out and swap it around for a battery mod.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:08:46 pm »
However, this one looks like a match:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401475259389

But I don't see a US source for it.

For $5.60 it'd be cheaper just getting a replacement board and encoder.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 06:24:50 pm »
So I ended up contacting JYETech and wow for such a cheap device they have amazing customer service. The person that I was in contact with was quick in helping me and he'll be sending me a new one free of charge. I wish some companies gave this kind of support.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf