Author Topic: Easiest way to flash Winbond 25Q32/ 25Q64?  (Read 7412 times)

Offline sasaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Hobbyist in electronic
Easiest way to flash Winbond 25Q32/ 25Q64?
« on: September 27, 2017, 01:01:04 pm »
What would be easiest way to flash Winbond 25Q32 or 25Q64 (both SOIC 8-pin)? I would need at least to flash 4MB firmware to replace in my old LED TV (freeze and finally no picture after 5 years of correct work) no body have boards anymore. Not to mention board would be extremely expensive and used, if I even manage to found it, thus I would try myself this much cheaper way.

Anyone have experience with?

What I have is several arduinos (328p and 2560), PICkit2 and PonyProg, all clones, which can flash small 25xx memory through SPI, however never flash memory chips more than 256Kb with any of these and I'm not certain it is possible at all, at least until I receive these memory ICs.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:24:12 pm by sasa »
The 30+ years professional desktop software designer and software engineer

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Re: Easiest way to flash Winbond 25Q32/ 25Q64?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:43:19 pm »
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=324009.0

but I doubt its the TV firmware that went bad, most likely supply or backlight
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline sasaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Hobbyist in electronic
Re: Easiest way to flash Winbond 25Q32/ 25Q64?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:49:39 pm »
Thank you.

I have found that lib, flashrom  + frser-duino. even flashrom  + PICkit2. But all that I never tried. Thank you again for suggestion.

Hence, I have made years ago 3.3V power supply for arduino (328p) clone. It would be extremely slow through UART, however at least do not require special programmer.

I have already change all caps on power supply board with branded ultra low ESR, as well on MB and confirmed back light works correctly, however problem persisted. After calling official service, they recommend changing the memory chip with latest firmware.

I suppose TV use some specific blocks to save current configuration and various settings with probably including CRC and load/check during turning ON / Wake up. Datasheet for 25Q32 state 100 000 E/W cycles, which is about 55 E/W cycles per day and then seems quite possible to fail after 5 years, if save status periodically or on standby...

In any event, if changing the chip also fail, TV will probably finish in recycling center.

The 30+ years professional desktop software designer and software engineer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf