Author Topic: Example of Really bad repair on HP214B pulse generator I just got from Ebay  (Read 1621 times)

Offline InsatmanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hello, I just thought I'd share how badly some people will "repair" equipment on Ebay.   I bought this unit and before shipping the vendor contacted me.  zHe said during his pre-shipment test the unit had a "busted capacitor" and that he would repair it before shipping.   About two weeks later I receive the unit and it works with some minor issues.  It smelled like magic smoke however even before turning it on.  The rear AC input jack has lots of carbon and upon closer inspection was severely damaged and had been repaired with hot glue!    Photos attached.   During my replacement of the AC input connector I also noticed that they spliced wire using masking tape as insulation.  Unbelievable.  At least the replacement capacitor they used was decent quality and the correct value and rating.   See photos
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline InsatmanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Closeup of AC entry module...they  must have tried powering it with alligator chips or something similar to make this happen.   
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
Unbelievable.... How much do a standard plug cost..  Ether the repairer was desperate to get it work fast or had absolutely no funds
I cannot imagine person with such equipment not having few of those plugs around at least in salvage i do not know.. maybe case of desperation  :-//

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
That's the usual Schaffner-Paffner behavior.
Schaffner used some shitty (I guess paper/oil dielectric) capacitors that draw moisture from air which degrades the dielectric. If equipment isn't in use for longer times, they blow up soon after the instrument is plugged onto power again. I wouldn't be mad at the seller, they fixed it as fast as possible and send you a working instrument. Be happy it didn't blow up in your lab, the magic stench is horrific!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf