Author Topic: Fault Finding A Dead PSU  (Read 2828 times)

Offline HalfManHalfSaabTopic starter

Fault Finding A Dead PSU
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:10:47 am »
Hello All,

I have a dead power supply from a Netgear 24port switch. I can see a few people suggesting they have replacement units however I would like to try and repair this unit if possible.

It's blowing fuses immediately, even if there is no load (so I can't measure the outputs).

My question is, what do I look for? There is no sign of anything burned out, no bulging caps or charred up resistors. Am I just going to be metering everything? Are there any tricks to isolate certain components to rule them out, or any common failures I can look for?

All help welcomed!

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fault Finding A Dead PSU
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 09:26:25 am »
Blowing fuses immediately is a very strong indication that there is a short on the AC side. A good place to start is by checking the bridge rectifier. If this checks fine, perhaps posting up some photos of the inside of the unit can help us aid you in what to check.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 09:36:14 am »
1) Check the bridge rectifier

2) Check the smoothing capacitor(s)

3) There's going to be one or more large power devices (FET or transistor) on the primary side, check them.

4) Protective devices such as MOVs can sometimes fail short circuit.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 10:02:01 am »
Blowing fuses immediately is a very strong indication that there is a short on the AC side. A good place to start is by checking the bridge rectifier. If this checks fine, perhaps posting up some photos of the inside of the unit can help us aid you in what to check.

Thanks, I shall give that a go and post up a link to some photos.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 10:02:53 am »
1) Check the bridge rectifier

2) Check the smoothing capacitor(s)

3) There's going to be one or more large power devices (FET or transistor) on the primary side, check them.

4) Protective devices such as MOVs can sometimes fail short circuit.

I'll give these a go too - many thanks for the suggestions.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 03:33:17 am »
If you check the mosfets, remove them from the board, you can get falses readings depending how the circuit is designed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf