Author Topic: Faulty MacBook Air 2010 - not charging.  (Read 3013 times)

Offline JJallingTopic starter

• Supporter
Faulty MacBook Air 2010 - not charging.
« on: July 19, 2016, 06:40:25 pm »
Hi all,

I have just found my old faulty MacBook Air, from the bottom of a drawer. I thought I would give it a go on fixing it.
The problem is that the computer wont accept the charger, if the internal battery is connected. I can confirm that the battery isn't faulty, as it is working in another computer.
If I open the computer and disconnect the battery, the computer accepts the charger and powers on.
I have also noticed, that when the charger is disconnected and the battery is connected, I can roughly measure the battery voltage on the external charging connector.

Here is what I think is the fault (please see this schematic, page 50, on the top). https://eevblog.jalling.net/820-2796.pdf
If I measures Q7080, it is shorted between drain and source. D-S on Q7085 measures ~5MOhm.
Should I just replace Q7080 or is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks,

bR Jonas

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Faulty MacBook Air 2010 - not charging.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 02:23:56 am »
Where can I get Apple schematics like that for the Imacs?
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 03:06:51 am »
I was going to mention him, but thought he would be reticent about sharing at this time.

Sure took a long time to d/l all his videos last week.

I mostly refer his videos to friends looking for computers and reference the rotten apple videos and what to expect once you buy such a 'well made and durable product'.

Then again, I would not want to support Windows either.

I just show them my Linux stuff and they run away, no worries whatsoever:)
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 05:42:42 am »
You might want to keep an eye on eBay for an I/O board.  MacBook Air parts used to be way overpriced, but lately they've been more reasonable.
macbook air 2010 are vintage, so no more part available from Apple.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 05:47:27 am »
Where can I get Apple schematics like that for the Imacs?
you need the model of your imac aka Axxxx then a google search leads to something like this :
http://kythuatphancung.vn/download/apple-imac-27-a1312-sch-k23-mlb-schematics.html

Offline JJallingTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »
Hi all,

I have just found my old faulty MacBook Air, from the bottom of a drawer. I thought I would give it a go on fixing it.
The problem is that the computer wont accept the charger, if the internal battery is connected. I can confirm that the battery isn't faulty, as it is working in another computer.
If I open the computer and disconnect the battery, the computer accepts the charger and powers on.
I have also noticed, that when the charger is disconnected and the battery is connected, I can roughly measure the battery voltage on the external charging connector.

Here is what I think is the fault (please see this schematic, page 50, on the top). https://eevblog.jalling.net/820-2796.pdf
If I measures Q7080, it is shorted between drain and source. D-S on Q7085 measures ~5MOhm.
Should I just replace Q7080 or is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks,

bR Jonas

I removed Q7080 and replaced it with another (temporary) FET. Now the computer works as intended, so I will order the correct FET and fix it.

BR Jonas

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, edavid

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 06:16:02 pm »
PM this guy: vze1lryy, Louis Rossmann.

lol dont
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf