Author Topic: Faulty multimeter recycling  (Read 1999 times)

Offline rodolfokTopic starter

• Contributor
Faulty multimeter recycling
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:44:19 pm »
Hello,
I have a digital multimeter of an Italian brand, Nimex NI2100, that was working ok until it suddenly gave erroneous readings, like 140V/AC instead of 220V/AC. I most pobably did something wrong that damaged it, because I can recall that I changed a blown fuse (200mA) with one I had as spare, but improperly of a higher current rating.
I would like to know if there is some troubleshooting that can be done to possibly try a repair, to find out which could be the broken part, or if it's not worth the time. In the latter case, would there be some part of it to recycle, like e.g. the display, or just use the DC voltage measurement, maybe attempting a calibration.
regards
rodolfok

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Faulty multimeter recycling
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:08:51 pm »
With handheld meters a repair can be rather difficult. One problem is that the calibration procedures are often nor known and a professional calibration might cost more than many handheld meters.

There are a few chances if the damage is visible (e.g. blown fuse / PTC ...) and not a critical part that effects the calibration.

With handheld DMMs there are not that many parts worth to recycle: maybe the shunts. Using as DC only or Voltage only might be an option.

The following users thanked this post: rodolfok

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:21:00 pm »
Try poking around in the front end circuits, look for resistors that have gone open or changed in value, MOVs that have been damaged by surges and such. Also check the range selection switch for damaged or oxidized contacts. Otherwise it's pretty hard to offer much specific advice unless a schematic is available.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:25:56 pm »
Check the battery.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 09:49:54 pm »
If it is this meter shown, any number of generic 830 multimeter schematics will give you a close approximation.

This meter is sold under various brands.

Offline rodolfokTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:39:41 am »
If it is this meter shown, any number of generic 830 multimeter schematics will give you a close approximation.
Yes, mine it's a previous version because I only have 200uA.
thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf