Author Topic: FFC/FPC Connector  (Read 2860 times)

Offline pathogen47Topic starter

FFC/FPC Connector
« on: October 15, 2015, 02:29:08 am »
Hello all,

Hoping someone here can help me find what I need.

I have an ASUS G750JM laptop. I opened it up to fix a noisy fan and in the process accidentally snapped off the flip tab on an FFC/FPC connector for the keyboard LED back-lighting. I didn't see where it landed and could not find it anywhere, so it's gone.
I'm having trouble finding the same style connector to purchase so I can replace the clip.

What I have figured out about it so far is that it's (obviously) a 4 contact connector, front flip, .5mm pitch and it's about 6mm wide and I think about 2mm high, but not certain on that.

I tried ordering a couple Molex brand connectors on DigiKey but they aren't the same style. In fact, I think Molex is pretty well ruled out as the mfr for this, they don't really seem to offer .5mm pitch front flip this size.

I've looked at a couple other mfr's and based on the product drawing, the TE 1775333-5 connector seems to be the closest as far as the style of the tab goes, but it's a 5 contact so I don't know if it'll work for this 4 contact connector I have. They don't seem to offer a 4 contact model.

I've attached photos of the connector with the missing tab and two nearby it that are the same style but have more contacts.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: FFC/FPC Connector
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 03:28:50 am »
Just replace the whole connector.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 05:30:02 am »

My understanding was that pathogen47 was searching for the connector...  :-[

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
I am available for freelance work.

Offline pathogen47Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 04:23:27 pm »

My understanding was that pathogen47 was searching for the connector...  :-[

Indeed.

These look like Hirose/FCI types. http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40016%2Cfff80421%2C1140003%2C1140160%2C1600006&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=2&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Thanks. I briefly looked at theirs before. I'll dig into them some more. It looks like, however, that the biggest they go is a 1.2mm height above board and the one I need is at least 2 I think. It's not a small connector.

My original intent is to find the same connector and then transfer over the tab so I don't have to actually replace the connector. But if replacing the connector is my only option, I'd at least like to go with the same connector still to ensure everything works as intended. Luckily, this is just for keyboard back-lighting so the laptop is still completely usable. Which also means I can just forget about it if I can't find what I'm looking for.

It's tricky to find the same thing or something close when pictures don't always represent the actual product. I have to rely only on mfr product sheets which aren't always the easiest things to decipher or don't even provide all the info I'm looking for.

Offline veedub565

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 04:10:59 pm »
You could try taking a look at molex, they have some similar looking ones

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/group?key=ffc_fpc_connectors&channel=PRODUCTS

*Edit*
Just noticed you ruled out Molex, sorry.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 03:47:50 am »
hot snot/hot melt glue gun
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 03:52:43 am »
hot snot/hot melt glue gun

That's a good idea, but would it be reliable?  :-X

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 03:55:53 am »
depends how many times do you open your laptop :) its not military grade stuff, no need for five nines
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf