Author Topic: fixing a tec 314 scope  (Read 1868 times)

Offline deth502Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
fixing a tec 314 scope
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:06:44 pm »
cant figure this one out, and i know the knowledge on this site is just scary, so im hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

i have a tec 314 (manual:  http://eternal.sk/hamphoto/TEK_314_SM.pdf )

it works fine in the upper timebases, but when you drop below 10mS, i get NOTHING. loses the trace. blank screen.

this has been setting in the corner for over a year now. last time i had it out, (reference page 129 in the linked manual) i checked c363 *in circuit* and it seemed a bit out. i thought (hoped) eureka!! this MUST be the problem. once i desoldered it, it tested fine out of circuit, but i continued to switch it out with the new one anyway. no change, didnt help. after that i got frustrated and stacked it in a far off corner.

i recently brought it back out and STILL cannot see why the slower timebases are not working. as far as i can tell, anything that would kill it at the slower timebases and not affect it elsewhere should be whatever is connected to contacts 12 and 15, yes?? again, c363 was replaced. c349 checks out close (202nF) *in circuit* but my lcr meter is saying 11-12 ohms (again IN CIRCUIT) i know thats high for an electrolytic, but i dont know if thats bad for this cap. (its a small blue rectangle, not sure if its a dipped ceramic or poly, markings are "ITW  224K   50V") and i dont want to do too much soldering on the board and invite problems if i dont need to.

any one have any clue? know somewhere else i should be looking?? something else i should be testing??

eta: i HAVE checked the mechanical contacts of the switch and they are working properly (on 11,12,14, and 15 anyway, didnt check them all)

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
Re: fixing a tec 314 scope
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:27:39 pm »
deth502: hi this is my web from where you have SM :)
I have also one of this guy to repair but now I haven't time for that, I hope it will be soon :)
In my case is lot of bad caps in power supply, but disassembly of this unit is not so easy  :box:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:41:48 pm by BFX »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:35 pm »
Are the switches working properly This looks like one of the camsswitch arrangements like in a Tek 465 series scope. Can you verify that the proper switch closures take place?
Sue AF6LJ

Offline deth502Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 01:06:17 am »
Are the switches working properly This looks like one of the camsswitch arrangements like in a Tek 465 series scope. Can you verify that the proper switch closures take place?

yes, i have checked, cleaned, and rechecked the switch, and everything is as it should be. its all actually very clean inside, so the contacts were very clean and tarnish free to start with.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf