Author Topic: Fixing a matrix lcd with faded/missing elements  (Read 2256 times)

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
Fixing a matrix lcd with faded/missing elements
« on: September 04, 2015, 08:47:54 am »
I have a dot-matrix lcd here off what some might call a vintage kurzweil k2500x musical keyboard (dates from 1995), the lcd has missing horizontal lines and is also faded in the centre vertical section... it is also pretty hard to read generally

just wanted to ask before i take the lcd screen out and start trying to reseat the zebra strips etc if there is anything else i can do to help it improve?

I am sure i recall some someone here improved a dmm (was maybe a Fluke?)  that had similar issues but i cant seem to find the thread  :-//

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Fixing a matrix lcd with faded/missing elements
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 12:05:18 pm »
Cleaning the zebra strips would be the first thing I'd try.

It could be a rather standard display module/controller, so finding a replacement might not be as difficult as you think.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 12:10:20 pm »
I'm with Amyk  :-+ , i had the same on my fluke 25 till i cleaned up the connecting strips with IPA
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 12:19:05 pm »
thanks, it is a standard module thankfully... well at least from an electrical POV, i looked into it a while ago and found some that would fit with some modification of the bezel and sometimes you see direct replacements on ebay but i would rather not have to spend money on it at the moment.

will clean/reposition the zebras and see how it goes  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf