Author Topic: Fluke 1507 remote test button  (Read 3671 times)

Offline BurningTantalumTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fluke 1507 remote test button
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:15:23 am »
I have a Fluke 1507 that I use quite regularly, however I rarely use the probe and lead with the remote test button. Yesterday I realised that the remote test function does not work.
Pressing the test button seems to cause a 30 ohm connection between the two pins in the shrouded plug. Shorting the pins in the meter body does not activate the test function. Before I start to tear into the meter- has anyone come across this 'fault' before.
Regards, BT

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 1507 remote test button
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:50:24 pm »
We rarely see insulation testers taken apart here so I have no idea what it looks inside.

Before you try to repair this yourself, are you the original owner?  If yes, did you buy this from an authorized Fluke dealer?  If yes again, then you should have 1 year warranty on this meter.  See snapshot from manual.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 06:55:52 am »
Thanks Retiredcaps,
I purchased the tester new in the UK around 2003, but don''t recall exactly. I now live in Australia. I will have a look inside this weekend and may post again if I spot anything. As I said- I have never really used this function other than for novelty value when I first bought it so I am not too worried, unless it heralds further failures ! There is no voltage on the pins in the meter body, but I will check with a scope before I go any further.
I thought that the 30 ohms reading on the leads when the test button was pressed was a bit unusual- I had assumed that it would be a simple short.
Regards,  BT

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:08:02 am »
I got that guy or its brother.  I'll check what I get with the button pressed this weekend and take some shots of its insides.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 01:54:25 am »
Hi Orion,
That's very kind of you.
 Don't worry about pictures, but just a resistance value on the pins on the lead when the button is pressed, and could you check if there is a DC voltage on the corresponding small sockets down in the meter body.
Thanks again,  BT

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:15:10 pm »
So I have the 1507 as well.

just a resistance value on the pins on the lead when the button is pressed, and could you check if there is a DC voltage on the corresponding small sockets down in the meter body.
Thanks again,  BT

500-250ohm "normal" press.  Pressing hard drops it of course.  I can get it below 100 but that's really mashing the hell out of it. 

and could you check if there is a DC voltage on the corresponding small sockets down in the meter body.

I got 3.1v between these on both the ohms and insulation jacks.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 05:52:23 am »
Big Red Face: There isn't an emoticon with a red enough face to paste here.
Thanks Orion, but I have been wasting your time.
I really should just slope off and not confess, but as part of my self flagellation I will have to own up:
Some time ago I removed the back and PCB to take pictures for an EEV thread about the fact that the 1503 was the same as the 1507 except for the front panel buttons.
 Today I removed the back to have a look at the mystery of the remote test button. Immediately I saw that I had not re-connected the 'S'-shaped clips that connect to the small terminal pins for the remote function. They simply spring on and off.
All is now well, except my global self esteem. This shall NEVER be mentioned again (please...)
Regards,  BT

The following users thanked this post: bluey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf