Author Topic: Fluke 175 - random display and beeps  (Read 6866 times)

Offline Leo BodnarTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fluke 175 - random display and beeps
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:38:38 pm »
My Fluke 175 suddenly started acting up.  It randomly flashes display and beeps.
All active switch positions are seemingly the same.

http://leobodnar.com/balloons/NTP/IMG_4489.mov

Fresh battery or external 9V from PSU make no difference.  I have opened it up and it is pristinely clean inside, no signs of corrosion, damage or bad solder joints.  It has not been subject to any abuse.

Any suggestions of what this might be?

Leo

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 175 - random display and beeps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:11:37 pm »
Hi

Looks like the auto ranging is going nuts.
Try looking at this site
http://mrmodemhead.com

My guess would be the input protection is damaged, maybe the MOVs. Check the MOVs measure 10M$\Omega\$ or more

Online The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:18:44 pm »
Also the  \$\Omega\$ symbol is flashing regardless of range.  ???

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:30:11 pm »
Try looking at this site
http://mrmodemhead.com
Specifically

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-77-iv-copper-corrosion/

"The meter was non-functional with some digital-domain fault that caused it to always display “- – - -”.  The trouble turned out to be a corroded via that was open from the top layer to the bottom, due to the plated-through hole being eroded away.  A wire patch soldered in brought the 177 back to life."

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 07:31:21 pm »
I have opened it up and it is pristinely clean inside, no signs of corrosion, damage or bad solder joints.  It has not been subject to any abuse.
Post clear focused pictures of the pcb (both sides) please.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:30 am »
Here they are

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 07:44:51 am »
one more

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 05:40:08 pm »
Can you remove the white plastic rotary switch and black shield covering the network resistor array and post a picture of that area?  We have seen problems in that area.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 05:43:19 pm »
I will do it tomorrow. 
I have inspected it under the microscope first time I took it apart and that ceramic SIP was pristinely clean and sound.
Leo

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 05:48:06 pm »
By the way, are you the original owner and did you buy this from an authorized Fluke dealer?  If yes and this meter is less than 10 years old, you should qualify for Fluke's warranty service for free.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 05:58:54 pm »
By the way, are you the original owner and did you buy this from an authorized Fluke dealer?  If yes and this meter is less than 10 years old, you should qualify for Fluke's warranty service for free.
Thanks for the tip.
Yes and yes - I have bought it from Farnell in 2013 although I am not sure I have all the paperwork that came with it.
Do I go via Farnell or directly to Fluke?  I dread paperwork so I was thinking £190 spread over 4 years is not that bad even if it's terminal.  Cheaper than Eagle if I were to cave in.

But it's a Fluke and the first Fluke that ever failed on me.  I have some Fluke RMS voltmeters from 1980s and they are still ticking along.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 06:08:45 pm »
Yes and yes - I have bought it from Farnell in 2013 although I am not sure I have all the paperwork that came with it.
Do I go via Farnell or directly to Fluke?
I don't live in Europe, but my best guess is to contact Fluke directly and tell them you bought it from Farnell in 2013.  Fluke should fix your problem under warranty for free unless they deemed you abused it.  The exact terms and conditions are in your user manual and online.  Their definition of abuse is also documented in the user manual

Since this meter is 4 years old, I suggest you do not take apart the white rotary plastic and black shield as I suggested and send it back to Fluke for warranty repair/replacement.

Like any company that makes a product, there will be failures.  How a company treats that failure is whether I'm a future customer or not.

For example, I was hesitant to become a Costco member because of the $120 CDN annual membership fee, but eventually I decided to try it for a year.  Now I'm glad because Costco's generous return and warranty policy is excellent. I can return anything with no questions asked for a complete refund.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 06:14:58 pm »
Thanks, I will take your advice.
Leo

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 06:21:51 pm »
Can you remove the white plastic rotary switch and black shield covering the network resistor array and post a picture of that area?  We have seen problems in that area.
Just explaining/clarifying why we ask people to remove the rotary switch.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-787-repair-any-idea/

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 06:25:16 pm »
Thanks, I will take your advice.
Let us know the outcome.  If Fluke repairs it, their repair notes are usually very generic like "replaced pca" with no real insight as to which specific component died.

Hopefully, Fluke will repair for free and you will have a new freshly calibrated 2017 meter.  All it should cost you is the postage to send it to them.  I recommend sending it to Fluke with a tracking number after you speak to Fluke customer support first.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 03:07:33 pm »
I have emailed our Farnell rep and next day got a phone call from lovely Launa.

Farnell say that all Fluke T&M equipment bought through them has lifetime warranty, as opposed to regular Fluke's 10 years.
They are sending replacement for Monday and will collect the faulty unit sometime next week.

I was offered a replacement or refund and I chose replacement.

Simple as that. 
:-+ for Farnell

Leo
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:15:36 pm by Leo Bodnar »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 06:04:15 pm »
I have emailed our Farnell rep and next day got a phone call from lovely Launa.
The above suggests you or your company does enough business with Farnell to get an account representative?  Hopefully, individuals get the same treatment?

Farnell say that all Fluke T&M equipment bought through them has lifetime warranty as apposed to regular Fluke 10 years.
Wow, that is value add from Farnell.  I wonder if that applies to a Fluke 73 purchased 30 years ago from Farnell?

Like any company, the warranty is only good as long as the company is in business.

I'm glad you are getting this sorted out in a timely and professional matter. Sounds like Farnell earns a  :-+ on this one.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 06:22:57 pm »
The above suggests you or your company does enough business with Farnell to get an account representative?  Hopefully, individuals get the same treatment?
We are a very small company and we have a Farnell account and a representative but I believe any customer would have the same warranty terms irrespective of their status.  It was just convenient to email our rep and ask what to do next.
Perhaps a random one-off customer without an account would have to send the equipment in first before they get a replacement/refund but it should not be a big deal.

Actually here is some relevant info - http://uk.farnell.com/fluke-digitalmultimeters

Lifetime is a long time, I hope Fluke got it right.

Offline JFJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 09:03:48 pm »
Lifetime is a long time, I hope Fluke got it right.

'Lifetime' is defined as seven years after Fluke discontinues manufacturing the product, but with a minimum warranty period of ten years from date of purchase (Lifetime Warranty applies to products manufactured after October 1996):

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uken/support/warranties/default

The following users thanked this post: mixiom

Offline Endeo

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 02:07:55 pm »
Hello,

I have the same symptom on my Fluke 177 unfortunately the lifetime warrinty is not a option for me (due to circumstances) tested the MOV-s and mos of the via-s...all checks fine do you please have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
You only ask yourself if you could, not if you should.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 07:06:58 pm »
I have the same symptom on my Fluke 177
Please describe your symptoms in detail. Also, please start a new thread.  While the 175 and 177 are similar, there are different internal revisions of the pcb board and they are significantly different.

The more detailed info you can give us, the more we can help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf