Author Topic: Fluke 179 Batt error  (Read 10084 times)

Offline mattltmTopic starter

Fluke 179 Batt error
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:01:55 pm »
Hi all.

My hard worked Fluke 179 has finally given up and is displaying "Batt" whenever it is turned on. I've tried 3 new batteries and the batt message remains.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

Thanks.

Matt

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Fluke 179 Batt error
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:24:12 pm »
I found a few threads around the internet that mention certain Fluke issues that show "Batt" at random times. A common denominator is that apparently the issue is with the main board and only repairable through Fluke.

One of the hits:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-28-ii-battery-life/
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:39:52 pm »
Questions/Comments/Suggestions.

Q1) Are you the original owner of the Fluke 179 and did you purchase this from an authorised Fluke dealer?

If yes, see

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=264761

Q2) If you are not the original owner, check the serial number to see if it has been recalled as per

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/multimeter-repair-time-again!-fluke-177-reads-8-ohms/?all

Q3) If you are not the original owner and your 179 is not being recalled, then I have other tests/suggestions, but will await to see how you answer Q1 and Q2 first.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:42:57 pm by retiredcaps »

The following users thanked this post: apelly

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:21:46 pm »
retiredcaps, coincidentally I saw this other thread around the internet where you state your annoyance at folks that state a problem, get a ton of help and simply vanish. :)

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:31:40 pm »
retiredcaps, coincidentally I saw this other thread around the internet where you state your annoyance at folks that state a problem, get a ton of help and simply vanish. :)
Yes, it happens enough that it changes the time and effort I put into responding now (as I started with this thread).

Over the last 3 months on eevblog, a few multimeter repair threads just go dead with the OP not responding.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 04:13:12 am »
That really is too bad.  As one who has benefited from your knowledge and the knowledge of others here I hate to see it go without recognition. 

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:04:51 pm »
And 6 days later, no response from OP.  Yep, good thing I didn't write anymore than.  No thank you, nothing.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 04:55:22 pm »
And 6 days later, no response from OP.  Yep, good thing I didn't write anymore than.  No thank you, nothing.
I feel your pain with past experiences...

A somewhat related beef: the other day I gave some suggestions on another thread (the oscilloscope as a prop thread) but it was so sidetracked that they were completely ignored. Interestingly a few posts later others started suggesting very similar things... Oh well, at least the OP didn't disappear.

Offline HeloRN

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 04:06:46 am »
Perhaps you had just changed the battery or a fuse when this started?

Not sure if anyone will read this, but this same exact problem was happening with me after I had changed a fuse and I found something that fixed it. Not sure if it would work for you, but it's at least worth checking.
When I opened the back of my meter to change the fuse, a rotary plate that is supposed to couple with the rotary switch got bumped out of place. To check and see if this is your problem, follow this:
-remove the 4 screws and remove the back of your fluke 179
-remove the single screw under the 440 mma fuse that holds the board in place (mine was a #1 philips)
-The rotary switch coupled with another rotary part on the board, and under the board was a small, white plate that was coupled to the intermediate rotary part. It is about 5/8" in diameter. It's the part that rotates with the rotary switch and makes the contacts for whichever function you are using. It has two tiny springs on it that make contact with the board.
-That little rotary plate has a notch in the edge that fits into a key that holds it in place. Mine had 'jumped' out of it's resting place with the notch in the key. I simply put it back in place, put it back together, and it was running like new.

Hope it helps! Peace!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:26:58 am by HeloRN »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf