Author Topic: Fluke 179 not working  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Adam60Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fluke 179 not working
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:53:04 am »
Good Evening, I have a Fluke 179 that won't measure resistance at all and the ammeter always reads negative although the amperage seems to be close to accurate. On DCV, measuring a 9VDC battery, it shows 8.34 VDC when connected with proper polarity and -1.328 VDC when reversed.
I am guessing this was connected to voltage when measuring resistance. Does anyone have a schematic or a good place to look on these units. The traces are hard to follow and they are layered and well masked. Looking for guys who have experience with these meters please.
Both fuses are tested and are in good condition. I realise battery is low and doesn't change things with good battery

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 179 not working
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:56:50 am »
People are probably going to ask you about the history of the unit, like did it fail while in your possession and under what circumstances, or did it come to you already defective?

Knowing how something broke is often a good clue to what parts might have failed and where to look for the problem.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:39:18 am »
Parallel thread running at badcaps.net

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64689

Offline Adam60Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:59:20 am »
Guilty as charged. Just hedging my resources. No harm in that is there?
There are many great minds on these forums and I figure that someone on one of them has come across this before. I thank you all in advance for your help. RetiredCaps, I know you are the guy and I hope you help me out. I will thank you in advance. :)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:38:02 am »
Guilty as charged.

Sprung!!!  :o  lol  :D

With all due respect to Badcaps.net   :-+ :-+  if you need info on anything Fluke, all the gurus (and serial yellow holster flashers  :-DMM ) are HERE at EEVblog

i.e. if the gents here have no clue about an issue (unlikely...) you are basically SOL and subject to Fluke Corp's terms and conditions (mercy)

That said, please consider to open the sucker up and post a few pics, so the patient can be diagnosed in public  :-/O

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:14:07 am »
For those not following along on badcaps.net, it looks like a bad connection between the inductor and the board.  Just like

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-179-76688/

So that is two cases of the inductor causing a fault.  Similar to Dave's BM235.

Offline Aleks

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:01 pm »
Hey guys,

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'd like to join the broken-inductor club :-)

Got a Fluke 175 for 25EUR, advertised as broken, but the display shown as working. All ranges did absolutely nothing, and it seemed that it was measuring only noise. I had a hunch that something at the front end must be broken. Finding a OL reading for the input resistance on the vols range confirmed this. After tracing out where the lines went, this little fella (the inductor in question) showed no continuity. It's really difficult to see the crack, as the inductor appeared normal - but after using my tweezers on it, it lifted straight up.

A dash of solder on both ends fixed it up :-)

Cheers!

The following users thanked this post: RobertHolcombe

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf