Author Topic: Fluke 287 Super Cap Leak  (Read 11322 times)

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fluke 287 Super Cap Leak
« on: March 07, 2016, 04:37:33 pm »
Hi All, I guess my super cap on my 287 is acting up. When I remove the batteries I get the Enter Date and Time warning! Called for an RMA. Did they ever actually fix this issue, or is this going to be an on going thing with the 287? Asked three people about it at Fluke, and still get the same reaction. Nobody ever gets units in for this, or First time they ever heard of it. Ok......so is it actually necessary to send it in? One guy told me that it actually doesn't hurt the board at all. I use Eneloop batteries in my Fluke 287, and don't change really often, so having to put the date, and time in every now and then is no big deal, so long as the board is not being effected!

Offline ElektronikLabor

• Regular Contributor
    • YouTube: ElektronikLabor
Re: Fluke 287 Super Cap Leak
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:59:27 pm »
Hello Tiny,
habe you measured the voltage of the cap, when you remove the batteries?

Offline Jacek_Paw

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:29:25 pm »
It is normal that you have to re-entter date and time after  batteries replacement in Fluke 287/289. The supercap is most probably used for auto power off function.
About the supercap corrosion it is well known problem, it appears in Fluke 189, Fluke 1653, super capacitor corrodes in every unit but for example I have recently disassembled an old Fluke 1653 and the cap was corroded but it didn't affected the pcb. In my opinion there is no need to worry.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:22:46 pm »
It is normal that you have to re-entter date and time after  batteries replacement in Fluke 287/289. The supercap is most probably used for auto power off function.
About the supercap corrosion it is well known problem, it appears in Fluke 189, Fluke 1653, super capacitor corrodes in every unit but for example I have recently disassembled an old Fluke 1653 and the cap was corroded but it didn't affected the pcb. In my opinion there is no need to worry.

Checked with Fluke today, and they claim if you loose the date, and time the super cap is bad. Guess I'll be sending it in! They couldn't tell me whether or not the issue was resolved with another vendor though.

Offline Jacek_Paw

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:26:55 am »
You must have talked with some salesman! I'm almoast 100% sure that this cap is responsible for APO function. Just consider the location of the cap - it is located in the power supply section. If it was responsible for any kind of backup it would be located close to the uC. 
Of course I may be wrong, please update this topic as soon as you get your meter after repair becouse I'm very curious.
If I have some time I will investigate this circiut in my Fluke 289.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:52:51 pm »
You must have talked with some salesman! I'm almoast 100% sure that this cap is responsible for APO function. Just consider the location of the cap - it is located in the power supply section. If it was responsible for any kind of backup it would be located close to the uC. 
Of course I may be wrong, please update this topic as soon as you get your meter after repair becouse I'm very curious.

I will. Actually the person I spoke with put me on hold, and told me he spoke with Duane Smith whom I believe is considered their chief Multimeter guy, although I may be wrong.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 06:58:41 am »
This problem has been addressed already on another thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-189-with-leaking-surface-mount-coin-cell/

I sent mine to Fluke and they repaired and checked it. If you have a defective supercapacitor, It won't retain the date when you change the batteries and it will also drain the batteries very fast.  :)

Offline Jacek_Paw

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 08:16:46 am »
Casinada you are right, I have just looked in my 189 and the supercap is responsible for memory backup. Probably I will have to change my point of view on the subject of supecaps in Fluke units.
Let's wait for repair of tony3ds meter.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 06:53:31 am »
Sent my 287 in a few days ago. Will let you know how this all turns out. They did tell me I won't be having the problem again. Maybe they have made some changes. Would hate to have to send it in every two years! How is Fluke as far as handling your equipment? This meter is used on my bench, and looks absolutely brand new. Hope I get it back the same way LOL!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:03:26 am by tony3d »

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 07:21:29 am »
How is Fluke as far as handling your equipment? This meter is used on my bench, and looks absolutely brand new.

Last meter I sent in to Fluke for service came back clean with a free 1yr cal performed as part of the free repair. Took about a week.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 07:26:48 am »
How is Fluke as far as handling your equipment? This meter is used on my bench, and looks absolutely brand new.

Last meter I sent in to Fluke for service came back clean with a free 1yr cal performed as part of the free repair. Took about a week.

That's good news!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 09:31:55 pm »
So I called fluke today about my 287, and they told me it will be on its way back to me today! They just got it yesterday! Told me they replaced the board with a brand new one! That's great now I'll have the latest firmware! They would have to recalibrate to I'm assuming. That's a pretty fast turnaround!

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 06:55:43 am »
Why APO function would ever need a supercap? It makes no sense at all.

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 09:50:53 pm »
I've had to set the rtc the last few times I've changed the batteries in my 289, which has been more frequentl than would be expected for the usage and despite my batteries being low self discharge eneloops.
Does it still have to be in warranty for Fluke to do the repair free?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 05:37:27 am »
I've had to set the rtc the last few times I've changed the batteries in my 289, which has been more frequentl than would be expected for the usage and despite my batteries being low self discharge eneloops.

If it's a 287 or 289, the repair should fall under the lifetime warranty.

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 06:34:08 am »

If it's a 287 or 289, the repair should fall under the lifetime warranty.
Great.

Offline Jacek_Paw

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 05:56:02 pm »
Why APO function would ever need a supercap? It makes no sense at all.

Yes you are absolutely right, I don't know what  I was thinking.  Sorry for making mess in this topic.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 01:05:48 pm »
I would still like to know if this new board they put in actually resolves the problem of the leaking cap, or just patches up the unit till the next time. Seems I can't get a definitive answer on that. May give them another call today.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 03:45:47 pm »
Well I called Fluke back, and spoke to an engineer who basically told me that he has no answer to the question of whether or not the leaking super cap issue was actually resolved, or just replaced with another super cap, and then he said good day! That was the reply I got from Fluke!

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 12:52:47 pm »
Many of us replaced it ourselves with a higher spec part.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 07:34:18 am »
Well I received my Fluke 287 back today. They replaced the entire circuit board, and installed brand new batteries! Also got new proof of calibration. I just hope the cap issue was actually resolved!

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:42 am »
Hello Frank,

Hereby enclosed a quotation for the requested unit(s).

Each unit returned requires a Returns (RMA) Number to be obtained before returning your unit (to obtain an RMA number see bottom of email for further instructions).

Quotation

Customer Ref/PO:                                          (Mandatory for processing your unit)

Validity:                      30 Days

Currency:                    GBP

Model: FLUKE-289 ; TRUE RMS MULTIMETER//FLUKE

Serial Number:           

Asset Number:           

For your item we have pleasure in offering the following Services:

Standard Repair:  £255.50                                        Unit under  Limited Lifetime Warranty we reserve the right to re-quote.**

Traceable Calibration with Data: £85.50                 optional

Shipping Costs:£10.00

Investigation Costs (see NOTES):  £44.80   

**These items are covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty

(full policy here: http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uken/service/warranties/default.htm <http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uken/service/warranties/default.htm> ) 

Please note our technicians will evaluate if your unit is still covered under this warranty, if they deem it is not, we will contact you regarding repair prices

Offline Jacek_Paw

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 06:38:09 am »
Well I received my Fluke 287 back today. They replaced the entire circuit board, and installed brand new batteries! Also got new proof of calibration. I just hope the cap issue was actually resolved!

Has the issue been solved? Do you have to reenter date and time after battery replacement?

The following users thanked this post: FrankE

Offline Nozzer

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 01:00:12 am »
Can DJ get an answer from Fluke since nobody else seems to have the clout to do so? If Fluke have not fixed the problem then perhaps people should be warned off buying it as it appears to be dodgy.  :( that is a pity as it would otherwise be a very attractive buy for my 4th multimeter (2nd digital in 30 years).

The following users thanked this post: FrankE

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 05:05:03 am »
The status of my the 289 I sent off as "RMA repair" has changed. Woohoo, should have it back within a week.

Model   Serial Number   Estimated Cost   Estimated Completion Date   Status   
FLUKE-289 ; TRUE RMS MULTIMETER//FLUKE   12345678   255.50   21-APR-2016   In Queue

I'm a little concerned that the cost went from £0 to £255 on status change from 'booked' to 'in queue', so I hope that's just an administrative thing and it goes back to the agreed cost of £0 again.

Edit: yes it did go back to £0 again once they had finished with it, so if those sending their meters in suddenly see a charge it's probably nothing to worry about..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:17:48 pm by FrankE »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf