Author Topic: FLUKE 8840A Multimeter - +5V power supplier in short circuit  (Read 1167 times)

Offline cbarbos2Topic starter

FLUKE 8840A Multimeter - +5V power supplier in short circuit
« on: November 22, 2016, 05:59:46 pm »
I have one Fluke 8840A that the +5V regulator is with the output in short circuit to ground.
I have removed the +5V ceramic caps, the regulator 7805 and I could not find where is the short circuit.
Does anybody  have any suggestion?
It seems a shor circuit by PCI tracks. But the PCI is multlayer.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Carlos Cesar

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FLUKE 8840A Multimeter - +5V power supplier in short circuit
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:33:15 am »
From the main power supply circuit there is a 7805 regulator if that's what you are refering to but did you check the big electrolytic cap 6800uf C601? If C601 is ok then the short is further down the 5V supply and it feeds many
ic chips. Actually before you take out the 7805 powering the circuit to use the touch test to see which ic or component is the hottest might help zero in the fault if there is no apparent burnt parts or evidence of charred spots on pcb. Alternative you can probe with DMM the ic pins especially Vcc to gnd.Of course it is not definitive as you have the check surrounding components. Do also know that there is another 7805 in the IEE-488 circuit.

Good luck,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf