Author Topic: Focusrite scarlett 2i2 no sound on input and outputs  (Read 3618 times)

Offline danteeTopic starter

Focusrite scarlett 2i2 no sound on input and outputs
« on: November 12, 2016, 05:41:15 am »
Hello, I am new on the forum!. My name is Joaquin (I have 17 years) from Argentina.. I have a technical service with my dad here.  ^-^

Well. I want to repair my focusrite 2i2 scarlett, because after triying I canĀ“t search the fault here. So I need help to get it and also learn more with this repair if is possible..

The history is one day  :-[ , after connect a xlr microphone on the 2nd input (with phantom power on), and after disconnect it, the halo leds of the inputs of the focusrite started flashing and later, after disconnect the focusrite from the pc and connect it again I not have sound anymore.. the focusrite is recognized on the pc but after playing anything with my guitar there is no sound on input and outputs and no lights flashing on the inputs. The sound card starts to heat up sometimes when I connect it by usb on my pc .  [I have tried with other usb cables and other pcs]

I have no more warranty because it has been more than a year that I have it here (2014). I have disarmed it and I have looked at some components but at a glance I do not see any components in bad condition.  :-DMM I have soldering station and other components such as tester for test components, etc.

The support of focusrite told me only to buy a new interface but here in argentina is somewhat overpriced. and I dont want to leave this interface in this way  :palm:

Thank you  if you could guide me in this repair  ;D. Thanks and regards. I await your answers.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:44:53 am by dantee »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: Focusrite scarlett 2i2 no sound on input and outputs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:29:18 am »
I think the "always start with voltages" rule holds true here, I would start by getting the multimeter, finding a good ground, and probing the supply rails to the opamps or other drivers for the inputs and outputs.

If neither the inputs nor outputs work, it's not likely to be a failure of a single component in the signal paths, but it still could be a single power supply device (electro cap leaking, regulator burnout, blown fuse, etc.) or if you're especially unlucky - the power supply failure pushed a rail way above spec and burned out everything attached.... I'd say that's not likely though.

If it's still talking to your PC and interacting with the drivers, I think that's a good sign.  If you have a scope you can try to trace out the audio path if the power seems intact.  Also make sure that you've ruled out input and output components and cables as the source of the problem - if you have only one mic, for example, make sure that it's not that the mic went bad and that it's actually the interface.

Basically, it's time to start taking stock of the elements of what make it run and testing them for basic functionality.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf