Author Topic: Fractal Design 1000W Platinum PSU (not starting)  (Read 7863 times)

Offline KingArthurTopic starter

Fractal Design 1000W Platinum PSU (not starting)
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:29:05 am »
Hello everyone! I have a problem with this PSU, it's quite new and it has no bulging caps.
The problem is that the PSU won't start at all and i'm getting no voltages (12v, 3.3v) when trying to start it. The unit simply does nothing at all. The only voltage that's working is the 5v standby which is rock stable.
As I am not an expert on the subject of repairing things i'm asking you people to help me get to the root of the problem. I've already measured most of the primary and secondary capacitors which all measured just fine.

Where should I start probing?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:33:53 am by KingArthur »

Offline Pillager

• Supporter
Re: Fractal Design 1000W Platinum PSU (not starting)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 11:23:59 am »
Just checking: Since it's a PC-PSU, I asume you jumpered the appropriate pin at the connector?
Greets

Tom

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 12:11:20 pm »
Just checking: Since it's a PC-PSU, I asume you jumpered the appropriate pin at the connector?
Yes, i'm an experienced computer technician so I jumped the correct wire  :P
I even tried it with a motherboard, as I said; 5v standby working fine. So that means usb power, motherboard led etc.....

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 01:39:13 pm »
Those heatsinks and transformer look really small for a 1kW PSU... anyway, first determine the controller IC and you'll likely be able to find a reference schematic to start troubleshoting.

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 05:19:08 pm »
To be honest if you can repair this, you are either a genius or very lucky. :)

Here are more pictures (actually a review of this power supply):

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=339

I hope you have some idea of how a switchmode supply works. As amyk suggested locate the controller ic
but which one? There is the +5V and +3.3V small pcbs but where is the +12V which supply 80A? My guess is that this +12V would likely be a main suspect. It is probably on the underside of the main pcb. Checking for the usual suspects, the optocoupler ic underneath.

Without a schematic you would probably test for shorts with DMM but check if the capacitors are drained or discharged of their voltage especially the high voltage ones.But first do a visual check of the pcb for burned parts or discolored pcb areas and wiring. Then check the power semiconductors on the heatsink. I would also check the modular connector pcb, there are 2 polymer caps there. Good luck and report back. :D

PS it would be helpful if you have esr meter as capacitors may have high esr making the circuit fail.

Some smps basics:

http://www.soloelectronica.net/fuentes/Power%20Supply%20Repair.pdf
http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/smpsfaq.htm
http://www.micrel.com/_PDF/App-Notes/an-27.pdf

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:45:50 pm by singapol »

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 05:19:43 pm »
It has 3 years warranty, why don't you send it back to the reseller ?
It is a very compact, high power SMPS, it's difficult to repair even for an experienced power electronics engineer with service manual.
This kind of repair is not for somebody as you who  "As I am not an expert on the subject of repairing things". and without service manual.
It is very dangerous (lethal voltages).
http://support.fractal-design.com/support/solutions/articles/143056-what-s-the-warranty-on-the-power-supplies-

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 07:30:57 pm »
I agree that it takes a lot of knowledge and practice, not sure if you want to learn a ton of stull just to fix one psu

for starters get incandescent bulbs, 100W 220v(or bigger) one to connect supply thru the bulb - this way you wont fry it if you make a mistake and short something, and a bunch of 20W 12V ones to load voltage rails

is powergood present? does it try to start?

usually you start from the wall socket, identify pfc controller and check if it works, identify main smps controller, check if its powered, check if it starts etc

edit: typo
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 07:54:41 pm by Rasz »
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 07:45:42 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes I already use a bulb tester, yes I know that there are lethal voltages. Yes I have experience repairing amplifiers, tuners etc, but not psu's. And yes I have an esr meter.
No it has no warranty and yes I will check the controller and pfc. Thanks  :)

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 08:06:49 pm »
for starters get incandescent bulbs, 100W 220v(or bigger) one to connect supply thru the bulb - this way you wont fry it if you make a mistake and short something, and a bunch of 20W 12V ones to load voltage rails
No, it is wrong, SMPS with PFC will not start with high mains resistance ! It does not work, it's only right for SMPS WITHOUT PFC !

@KingArtur: you need an isolation transformer of 500VA or more.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:08:37 pm by oldway »

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 08:25:52 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes I already use a bulb tester, yes I know that there are lethal voltages. Yes I have experience repairing amplifiers, tuners etc, but not psu's. And yes I have an esr meter.
No it has no warranty and yes I will check the controller and pfc. Thanks  :)

In that case you should do fine. But proceed with caution.We tend to think the problem is difficult
but overlook the obvious simple ones.Also check the small caps with the purple negative sign on top.
820uf I think. Good luck.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 08:37:35 pm »
Ok I desoldered the 3 polymer caps on the modular board, and yes 1 of them is shot according to my ESR meter.
I have a simple chinese ESR meter, and 1 measures as a 770uf, the other measures 700uf and the broken one measures 0uf and 0.01ohms

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 09:13:37 pm »
No, it is wrong, SMPS with PFC will not start with high mains resistance ! It does not work, it's only right for SMPS WITHOUT PFC !
It depends, not all PFC are equal. If there will be issue with starting, then you should notice that bulb starts flashing. Often for high power PSU with PFC some beefier bulb is needed, like 200+W so it can start properly.
@KingArtur: you need an isolation transformer of 500VA or more.
Isolation transformer is nice to have but it won't protect PSU from exploding.

Offline OldSchoolTechCorner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 09:25:24 pm »
Ok I desoldered the 3 polymer caps on the modular board, and yes 1 of them is shot according to my ESR meter.
I have a simple chinese ESR meter, and 1 measures as a 770uf, the other measures 700uf and the broken one measures 0uf and 0.01ohms

Shorted capacitor will cause it, which you have. Also would check semiconductors and controller.

Really don't need Isolation transformer for this and would need a really big one with slow blow fuse, just be careful, worst case it will blow a mosfet and mains fuse out. I fix one that pull so much it melted the wiring in guys house due to pulling 1600w on 14 gauge stranded wire wire on a 20amp breaker and he push it over 1600w I suspect more like 1900w to 2000w. He just lucky place didn't burn down. Replaced wire with 10 gauge wire since he was bitcoin mining and kept the 1600w PSU that broke as part payment and still using it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:37:39 pm by OldSchoolTechCorner »

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 12:57:38 pm »
ITS WORKING AGAIN WOOHOO. It were those 3 polymer caps on the modulair board!! Thanks for the help. :-+ :-+

Offline paulc317

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 01:49:00 pm »
ITS WORKING AGAIN WOOHOO. It were those 3 polymer caps on the modulair board!! Thanks for the help. :-+ :-+
Can you please send clear picture of the polymer caps?

Sent from my L500S using Tapatalk

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 05:36:54 pm »
Can you please send clear picture of the polymer caps?

You can see it in this link:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=339

In fact there are 2 pictures, one the modular connector board and a closeup. Although there
only two polymer caps with the third unpopulated but in OP's unit he has three caps.

Offline paulc317

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 05:46:45 pm »
Thanks. Nice work.

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 07:19:32 am »
CapXon makes polymer electroytic caps? LOL.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 08:59:39 am »
CapXon makes polymer electroytic caps? LOL.

This is obviously the work of Mr Wun Hung Lo in Shenzhen! Guilty, I tell you  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf