Author Topic: Fried Bearcat 996XT Scanner  (Read 2374 times)

Offline The_PenguinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fried Bearcat 996XT Scanner
« on: November 12, 2016, 02:26:30 am »
Hi all. I haven't done any repairs for a long time, thought I'd dust off my skills with a really tough one.
A Bearcat 996XT radio scanner that got fried by a surge or maybe incorrect power supply.
I have no service information, would love to find a schematic, but nothing found so far.

Some fried input circuitry was replaced before I got it. I replaced an open 2.2 ohm resistor so far.

Symptom is, it's dead :)  Looking at supply voltages it has 6v, is missing 8v and missing 3.3v for the CPU area. I think the 3.3v regulator is fed by the 8v supply, so not surprised it's missing.

My specific question for now, is about the 8v regulator. A 78R08F 5 pin TO-252. It's running pretty warm, and only outputting 2v.
Looking at the datasheet, Pin1 is input, Pin2 gnd. Pin3 output,  pin 4 is NC, and pin 5 is on/off control.

Here's the thing, pin 2 reads 10vdc referenced to chassis gnd.  And pin 2 doesn't appear to be actually connected to gnd on the pcb.
Not sure if this is a multi-layer pcb, pin 2 goes to a via, haven't really tried tracing it too far.

So, am I looking at an inaccurate datasheet, or is there something weird about this design?

I removed it, and measured the output pad on the PCB, and it's not shorted or particularly low resistance. 12v on pin 1 and still 10v on pin 2 with the regulator removed. Will test the regulator soon.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:29:19 am by The_Penguin »

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
Re: Fried Bearcat 996XT Scanner
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 03:31:52 am »
KIA78R08F pin 1 input. 2on/off. 3.output. 4. n.c. 5.Gnd
into 1A protection

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 03:44:45 am »
Well crap, the datasheet I downloaded is wrong. Just looked at another, agrees with you.  Even the test circuit diagrams in the first datasheet are wrong.  That explains a lot.

Thanks!

Now to test the regulator out of circuit.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 02:12:18 pm »
Regulator definitely bad.  Have a few coming on a slow boat from China.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf