Author Topic: Glass Cutting - Yes, it is electronics related  (Read 5812 times)

Online edpalmer42Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Glass Cutting - Yes, it is electronics related
« on: August 04, 2016, 10:11:35 pm »
tl;dr Any ideas on carefully cutting open the glass enclosure in the picture?

I bought a nice looking quartz oscillator.  It has a good name and looked like it had some 'play value'.  Maybe it would be useful, maybe I'd learn something.  But it didn't work.  :(  I took it apart and found the problem.  See the picture below.  How hard would you have to hit it to break the quartz disk away from its mounting??  :o  So now, instead of a Bliley BG61A-5 vacuum-sealed, low aging (1e-10 per day), space-rated crystal, I have a small, sad paperweight.  :'(

So since the crystal is junk, I might as well play with it.  I'd like to open it up and see if I can resolder the crystal back into the mounts.  Yes, it will probably degrade it - it may never work again.  So what?

But I've never done any glass cutting, never mind cutting on a round tube where I have to preserve both pieces.  I've looked at a few videos on Youtube that involved flames or hot and cold water, but those are a little too traumatic for this application.  I have a pile of vacuum tubes that are similar in size that I can practice on.

So any suggestions on how to proceed?  Glass cutter?  Dremel?

Ed
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:14:24 pm by edpalmer42 »

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
Re: Glass Cutting - Yes, it is electronics related
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 10:20:50 pm »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:36:53 pm »
I seem to remember reading about using a hot nichrome wire for cutting glass bottles, easy enough to set up something for some experimental trials.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 02:09:41 am »
I seem to remember reading about using a hot nichrome wire for cutting glass bottles, easy enough to set up something for some experimental trials.  ;)

I used to do it with coathanger wire and a set of jump leads. Wrap the wire firmly against the glass, put a hundred amps or so through it until it glows between dull and cherry red (ie stop before it melts) and plunge the whole shebang into a bucket of water. Agricultural, but a nice way to convert empty jim beam bottles into guitar slides. The cut edges can be quickly fire-polished with a standard propane blowtorch although I started getting much nicer results when I got an oxy.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 02:28:36 am »
Yes, I am concerned about contamination.  No matter what I do there will be a lot of contamination compared to now, but I'd like to keep it as clean as possible.  Flooding it with water just doesn't seem like a good idea, but I might have to do it.

Ed

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 04:01:02 am »
Dremel plus diamond cut off bit and lots of cooling

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 05:10:00 am »
A set of rollers to let you roll your tube as you scribe it with a sharp carbide point or a glass cutters wheel is the way to go.  Making sure the surface is clean before you start will help avoid skips in the scribe.  Practice on your tubes until you get the feel.  You can use the hot wire or a simple physical shock to finish the break.  Again, practice.  When you get it right it will be easy, but be prepared for quite a bit of frustration on the road.  Both the pressure applied when scribing and the shock have an upper and lower limit, but I can't help with numbers, it is just something that experience gives you.

There will definitely be a lot of glass shards (fraction of millimeter size).  They will get sucked in and distributed as the outer air fills the presumed vacuum in your part.  Hopefully they won't harm things too much and maybe you can even achieve some cleaning before you attempt to reseal this. 

That is another whole project, much more difficult, and something I can't provide any meaningful advice on.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 05:28:19 am »
I have done it with a wet saw, you know for tile cutting. Cuts nice but would be completely covered with debris. I was interested in the glass tubes and not the innards.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 12:35:02 pm »
I've used the hot nichrome wire technique to cut thin glass tubes neatly, for instance from fluoro light tubes. Works fine.
As others mentioned, scribe a fine neat line around the tube, then wrap a taught nichrome wire once around the tube right on the scribe line. Apply current to wire. If you got it right there will be a faint 'tink' after a few moments, and a clean cut. No need for any water.

A good way to hold the wire, is to make a kind of springy bow, with insulated ends and the wire stung across them. With enough slack that you can loop it around the tube with the wire tensioned by the bow. It HAS to make even contact with the glass all round, so the wire better be free of kinks. You can make it nice and straight by hand drawing (stretching) the wire out a bit.

To scribe the line around a tube, take a piece of tough paper and wrap it tightly around the tube. When it's straight the end edge will line up with itself. Tape it in place and use the paper edge as a guide. Anything that can score glass will work. Fine sharp-edged file for instance. Or diamond tip glass cutter. The scribe line is the most critical part - it has to be even and straight all the way round. Roller wheel glass cutters won't work on a glass cylinder by hand - you can't apply the force evenly enough. Might work with some kind of roller jig.

That picture of the failed crystal... I'm wondering how the solder joins worked. The crystal disk has gold plating on both sides, and usually there are some kind of clips that contact the plating, one per side. In that one, were the mounts soldered to the flat faces of the gold plating on each edge?
Maybe it just failed due to fatigue from the oscillation warping? Perhaps over driven?
In any case, I doubt you can solder back to the gold plating, if it didn't already come right off the crystal.
Also it was probably in a vacuum.

Glass enclosed crystals are pretty. The one below is (I think) from 1966. 5.0000MHz

Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 12:46:17 pm »
Maybe it just failed due to fatigue from the oscillation warping? Perhaps over driven?
Overdriven by dropping from something like 1 meter height  :-DD.
It's dead Jim  :'(,
even if there is any possibility to restore the connection, it will be useless because will be nowhere near to the spec and $0.5 cheapo crystal will work order of magnitude better.

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 12:55:47 pm »

First few seconds of the video is the easiest way to cut glass there is.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 01:08:00 pm »
Just touch an ice cube to it after heating. it will crack.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 03:19:27 pm »
That picture of the failed crystal... I'm wondering how the solder joins worked. The crystal disk has gold plating on both sides, and usually there are some kind of clips that contact the plating, one per side. In that one, were the mounts soldered to the flat faces of the gold plating on each edge?
In any case, I doubt you can solder back to the gold plating, if it didn't already come right off the crystal.
Also it was probably in a vacuum.

The gold plating on each side goes right to one edge - opposite sides go to opposite edges.  I can't tell if the plating went down opposite edges or not - it doesn't now!  The solder joint was then made between the support and the plated surface.  There is no mechanical clip.  If there had been, I probably wouldn't be in this situation!

And yes, it is in a vacuum.  There's no way I can fix the crystal, replace the envelope and redraw the vacuum so I'm just going to do my best at resealing it.  This is more of an experiment than a repair.

Ed

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 03:30:52 pm »
I didn't see it mentioned, but when you scribe the cut line, do it only once.  It will be very light, but resist the temptation to go over it again to make it 'better'.  Doing so will not make it better, it will likely bugger up the cut.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 03:32:22 pm »
No need to score all the way round the tube.  See option 3 here:

http://www.ilpi.com/glassblowing/tutorial_cutting.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf