Author Topic: Gould "Classic" 6100 Oscilloscope totally dead – repair prospects & documents?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

I won, at a price I could afford (two figures and no bid–wars for a change!) a Gould "Classic" 6100 200 MHz 4 Ch Oscilloscope, sold as seen,  d.o.a. with no display!

Anything useful in the way of documents and capture software available for these?

What about firmware/drivers, etc? Would I be up the creek from unobtainable firmware if it turns out to be a corrupted firmware or a flash memory failure?

(My employer once gave me a TDS7054 to repair as an official job, and I'd no end of aggro restoring it because I couldn't get the original recovery CD, the only one I could find was from a seller that refused to ship outside the U.S!!!)

Are service manuals known to be in existence and is there any "unobtainium" I need to watch for in these units?

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:44:37 am by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,
sorry for being a bit slow here. First of all, look here:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/185152

They have USER manuals here, also in English if I recall correctly. As for service manuals, so far none has cropped up. There is a company, called Helmboldt or something like that in Germany which claims to repair these things. But, knock on wood, I did not need their services so far.

If you ever do find something, let me know.

Tam
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline marcher

Belated response:

Hans-Joachim Helmbold may be found here:

http://www.mess-und-datentechnik.com/en/

They claim to service Gould scopes!

Offline MatA

Hi @Chris56000#
#Not sure if this will be of interest to you  I am about to put on Fleebay my Gould Classic 6100 -   It sadly failed due to the backup battery decided to leak all over the  board and in the 6 months it was in storage the damage was done!.
The display and other parts are functioning.   But it will be appearing as "Spares/repair".

Regards

Mat/

Offline Buczix

I might be able to help, a little late to the party but still better than nothing!

I have a working 6100, bought cheap as hell (350 PLN, so about 90 USD) because the battery inside leaked  :-BROKE , but fortunately, no traces were broken, so I fixed it by replacing the battery and resetting the oscilloscope. If you need any measurements of capacitors, resistors, I'm all yours. I could also read and send you the EPROM's content, but I don't yet have a machine for this.
 I also have a PDF manual in English for it.

Also, it's worth noting that the built-in display is getting very dim in a short time. I have a VGA output card in my 6100, so I usually run it on an outside monitor. If your scope powers on, try shining a strong light into the display and see if anything is on the screen

If you are still here, let me know if you need any help. I'm not a pro, but I fixed a lot of stuff over the years.

P.S. It's not the one from the post above, I'm from Poland not ftom England, and I havd had it for almost 4 years now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:13:39 am by Buczix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf